Chapter 29

I press my fingers against my stomach as I swallow down the lump in my throat. Sascha stands beside me, her eyes watery as she stares at the reports in her hands.

So many emotions play on her face, happiness and pure joy being the prominent ones. Her joy brings me a huge sense of relief.

She's happy, completely oblivious to my past demons but that doesn't matter. All that matters is that she's here with us and our family is complete. She's safe and happy; that's what matters the most.

"Nikita," she whispers, her voice wobbly with tears as she controls the urge to cry. Lifting my hand to squeeze her shoulder, I offer her a small smile as she stares at the reports in her hands and then looks at Elder Fridolf who stays silent, letting us digest this news.

"Thank you, elder," she whispers while clutching the reports to her chest and breathing a sigh of relief.

The elder shrugs and then lifts his lips up in a careless smile. "It's a fact, dear. No need to thank me. I didn't do anything," he says and then waves off at Sascha when she goes to argue. She smiles and then chuckles through her tears before nodding at the elder.

"You both should go and share this news with your brother. He will be happy to know that you and your wolf are both fine," suggest Elder Fridolf. We both agree and then walk out of the infirmary.

Closing my eyes, I search for my brother's aura and find that he's at his home with his mate. Not wanting to exert myself anymore, I pull at Sascha's hand. Sascha quickly holds onto me, understanding clear in her gaze.

My intelligent twin sister. How am I so lucky to have the best family?

Landing in front of the cottage, I take a deep breath and knock on the door, not sure of how I might be welcomed by our brother.

I recall how betrayed he had felt when Dominic revealed that I knew about Sascha's gift. I should have told him sooner but my insecurities and then with so many new revelations, it just slipped my mind.

But now that we have this issue done and dusted, I am left to deal with the other most prominent fact of my life.

The fact being – Dominic is my mate.

But before I can dwell on that thought, the door swings open, and we are greeted by Sierra and baby Selene.

The baby gasps, babbling something and then smiles cutely as she waves at me to pick her up. Her happiness at seeing me, is my undoing.

How I long to have my own little family!

Shaking away those thoughts, I stretch my arms for baby Selene to jump in. I put my walls just in time as Selene's powerful mind seeps around me. Selene is completely unaware of how her magic slips out of her mind and seeks others similar to hers.

She's very vulnerable to the black witches and that's the biggest reason why Fenris keeps his daughter hidden from the world. The entire Kingdom knows that Fenris has a daughter who's half-witch; most probably a full witch with no wolf but that is yet to be proved.

But Fenris has purposely kept his daughter hidden from the world. Only a few people have seen Selene. Everyone hears about the beautiful offspring of the King but no one can look at her without her father's permission, let alone touch her.

"She missed you," whispers Sierra while staring at her daughter who happily slaps me while trying to gauge my emotions. I thoroughly keep her out while also trying to build a wall inside Selene's mind. I just hope that Selene understands and remembers this wall because she will have to keep a wall like this, covering her mind from the intruders. It's a lesson for tomorrow but the preparation should begin today.