Chapter 34

"You are not getting out of this bed."

I try not to be amused at this situation but Damon's snarl and Jenna's pout make it very difficult to maintain my composure.

"I just felt a little dizzy. It was for a minute only. I am fine," huffs Jenna while folding her hands in a stubborn gesture. Her pregnant body appears dwarf with the number of blankets she's wrapped in. It's only three months but she's been highly hormonal and sick. Her body has changed, her stomach slightly bulging but there are still two months to go before she is close to her due date. Well, that's what she told me.

I have no idea about the birthing process. These are the times when I miss my mother the most. She would have been ecstatic to care for Jenna during her pregnancy. However, she wouldn't have allowed Jenna to even move a bit during this time. Looking at Jenna now, I can't imagine how that would have helped us keep our sanity.

Sitting on the bed, looking adorably cute, Jenna throws me a glare when my lips widen in a small smile.

"You are on my side," she points at me and I raise my hands up in surrender.

"In this case, I am on Damon's side. You need to rest," I begin but she growls, interrupting me. "Listen, I need you to rest and keep an eye on Anya. I believe that she is being influenced by her mother, in a negative manner."

Jenna's eyes go wide at my confession and she contemplates my words before nodding slowly.

"That's why you are so distraught over her stay at this castle?" she asks while caressing her small bump. My protective instincts flare up at the thought of her and her unborn child. She's vulnerable at this moment and it's my duty as her brother to keep her safe.

For that, if I have to put her on babysitting duty for Anya, so be it. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

"Yes."

"Did you find out why the witch visited her, that night?"

"I don't know why Alcina was present there but, she had been an absentee in her family events. It's suspicious and then her mingling with Viviana makes her look bad. I am not sure if she has changed sides."

"Fine, I'll do it," she grumbles a bit before lying back on the bed and turning away from me. Damon sighs beside me, rubbing his palm over his face, his distress clear.

"I do not like leaving her alone," he whispers when we are sure that Jenna's fallen asleep. This is the time when a female vampire is at her most vulnerable stage. So far, we are able to hide her scent with that powder Fenris gave me but it won't last long.

I do not want Viviana to know about Jenna's pregnancy, especially with her not-so-good intentions toward her daughter's mated life. However, this needs to be done.

"Dima will be there with her."

Just then Dima walks inside the room, glancing at Jenna's sleeping form. He greets Damon and then walks over to me, embracing me. I let him hug me but my hackles rise when I observe his slightly shallow breathing.

"What's wrong?" I ask, holding onto my brother for dear life.

"Fine, I am fine. It's just one of those attacks. It happens," he reasons while trying not to heave in breathlessness. "Go, do your job. I will protect Jenna with my life."

"Thank you," whispers Damon before turning to look at me. He nods once and then walks out, our plan already in its initial stages.

~~~~

Gliding through the forests of the Blue Moon region, Damon follows me, stealthily. Ever since we found those bottles in my dad's chambers, I have been thinking with no possible answers in sight. Why did father steal from the Dragons?