Chapter 31

I am still reeling from my recent encounter with Viviana's and Anya's secret conversation. All I could confirm from the little discussion was that Viviana is somehow manipulating Anya. 

But why?

By being Dima's mate, Anya has become the Princess of the entire Vampire Kingdom. Theirs is the only royal couple. Isn't she happy with it? What else do you need to be happy?

Thinking about what the couple has with them, reminds me of what I have lost.

I know I have failed my people as the King. I was never really around for these people to understand their problems. I was never there to provide any solution to any of them because I was busy in exacting my revenge.

Revenge that I have failed to exact. Every time I feel that I am close to the murderer of Charlotte, he slips through my fingers. I have been chasing the vampire with a fang tattoo on his wrist but he always manages to escape. That's how I remember him. He murdered my mate in cold blood.

Not too long ago, I had sniffed him in a local bar. It was in the Blue Moon's human region but it was there. Sniffing the bastard in a human town had made my hackles rise but before I could catch him, he had slipped away.

He left a mess behind for me to clean. Not wanting to give away the existence of supernatural beings, I had to move the dead bodies of two men. They were sucked dry and I knew enough about this vampire that I can identify his modus operandi anywhere.

And it pisses me off, to watch him playing with me like this. He knows that I am following him and he has successfully evaded me for 25 years. I have had enough now.

And now when I am visiting my brother before I set off once again to search for that bastard, I find out that Viviana's the cause of my brother's disturbed mated life.

How I wish to throttle the woman!

Gulping down the blood wine, I slam the glass on the counter and run my fingers through my hair, hating this feeling. I hate being a failure. But that's all I have ever been.

I couldn't be a good mate. I was never a good King. And now I am failing to be a good brother, as well.

"Shane, get me another glass," I growl at the bartender. He's has been a loyal vampire, serving here since he was a kid. He gives the best advice and at this moment he is very unhappy to serve me. But do I give a fuck?

Hell no!

"Please refrain from drinking anymore, your Highness," he whispers, further cementing my doubt. Shane only calls me 'your highness' when he's pissed at my behaviour.

"Follow your orders," I snap and point at the glass.

"Will you for once listen to the old man?" The sharp rebuke has me shifting in my chair. I nearly stumble out of it but am caught by a pair of soft feminine hands. Lifting my head up, I catch sight of a familiar red-eyed gaze.

"Jenna!"

"Hello to you too, my Lord. You are not a pleasant sight. Now, will you please stop wallowing in guilt?" she asks, while pushing me back into my chair. Jenna plops down on the chair in front of me while I take in her appearance.

She looks fine. Healthy.

"You are doing well," I state gruffly, overwhelmed by the emotions coursing through my mind at seeing my little trouble-maker of a sister. I am meeting her after a decade.

Jenna rolls her eyes at my words but I do catch a sheen of tears in her eyes before she blinks them away. She looks at me for a long moment and then a soft smile grazes her lips. "I am happy, brother."