Chapter 41

Wandering through the dark forest, I am in tune with each and every sound that echoes through the darkness. From the whoosh of the winds to the blinking of the fireflies; everything is under my scrutiny tonight.

I am being followed.

And that's the only reason why I am here, in the middle of a dead end where I know that I can't find anyone, neither Dimitry nor Nikita. But I know that the person following me wants to speak to me.

He means no harm.

He's miserable without his mate and helpless without his family's support.

Turning around to let him know that I am aware of his presence, I stand in the meadow, waiting for him to make himself visible.

I expect to see his face but all I can make out is the silhouette of a wolf. So, he ran all the way. Makes sense.

"You were there at Connor's place," he asks, his words echoing his pain as he walks up to me, now in his human form. He's fully clothed which tells me that he didn't just walk away. He has thought this through.

"I was."

"You saw... I pushed...."

"Yes, I saw how you flung your own mate and broke her ribs. Talk about being an abusive mate."

I finally take pity on him and mutter those words, watching his stooped shoulders as hopelessness clings to him. He deserves it.

"I... I don't know what came over me."

"I don't know either but it's clear that you don't care enough for your mate."

Fenris's head whips up to look at me, his eyes wide in shock and then shame. He shakes his head a bit, not really ready to accept it but I know that it's true.

Fenris loves his mate. But he has started loving his people and his newfound family more. Sierra's no longer on the top of his list of priorities. He has been taking his mate for granted, just because she's always there for him, to listen to him and simply to hold him, without any questions.

Sierra's self-less love is not appreciated by Fenris. And it deserves to be awarded. The woman has basically adopted an entire pack. She's mothering a pack full of wolves when she's just recently given birth to her own child.

She deserves a fucking break.

"I am sorry."

"I don't think I am the one who needs to hear it," I mutter, rolling my eyes at this pathetic display of emotions. "I do not have time for this Fenris."

"I know. I am sorry for holding you back. But I came to know a few things back there at Connor's place," he whispers, running a hand through his hair. His mind's running fast, he's connecting the dots and I somewhere have a feeling that Sierra or Catrina must have told him about the reason behind my presence at Connor's place.

"Go ahead."

"Are you... her mate?"

He can't even say her name. No. He doesn't want this fate for his sister that's why he's not saying her name where it connects her to me somehow. Well, I have news for him.

Instead of answering him, I just nod my head and gauge his reaction. At first, he's just shocked, then he closes his eyes, bowing his head. It's as if he doesn't want to accept it.

Would I be such a terrible choice for his sister?

I don't show my emotions, hiding them under a layer of indifference inside my mind. I feel Fenris's mind poking at me, but I don't let him in. He needs to be worthy of it and right now, he's not just up to it.