Chapter 21

Fuck!

Nikita's face crumbles into that of pain and hurt before she covers it up with her neutral expression as if she doesn't give two shits about me.

However, her mind is hurting. And it's trying very hard to not show that it's hurt. I feel like kicking myself in the butt for hurting her.

It's my fault entirely for losing control like that. I shouldn't have gone near her but the slightest hint of her desire and my beast lost its control.

I am known for my patience but this time I couldn't be patient and it might have as well cost me, my second mate.

What a cluster fuck!

Unable to see her face any longer, I let her turn her back to me and in return, I turn around and walk into the woods, farther away from Nikita.

It will be better if I just focus on avenging Charlotte before trying to make friends with Nikita. In that way, I wouldn't end up disrespecting two of the most important females of my existence.

Taking off into the night, I let my beast focus on the hunger that's awakened inside my body. Being this thirsty makes me more irrational and it's better if I feed myself before going anywhere near Fenris or Connor for that matter. Those hard-headed males are the main reason why I try to stay out of this werewolf mess.

Letting my senses take over, I spread out and hunt for the nearest warm being. Luck shines slightly on me when I spot a human male camping on this side of the woods.

So foolish!

The human is completely oblivious to my presence however, he is also alert. His survival instinct is probably kicking in. The human ignores it and continues to warm himself in front of the small bonfire. He is alone in the woods, which is strange but not rare.

Spreading out through his mind, I quickly grab onto his fear and try to manipulate it into a soothing feel for him. Letting him believe that he is in a semi-conscious state. Once the person is completely enthralled, I walk out into the clearing, slowly making sure to not scare him.

It would be simpler to just make him fall asleep and finish my task before walking out of here. However, the recent encounter with Nikita has made me yearn for something else to dwell on. And this man, my meal, provides the perfect distraction for me to focus upon.

Once I reach the human's now relaxed form, I bend over him and quickly dip my fangs into his skin, just above his wrist, catching the vein perfectly. Drinking in enough blood to last me for a couple of days, I remove my fangs out of his skin and wipe the skin with my saliva, triggering the skin to heal a little faster than a normal human wound.

Sweeping through his mind, I make sure to make this encounter appear as a dream in his mind and then pick up the human, dropping him inside his tent preventing him from getting eaten by a stray wild animal.

~~~~

Where the hell are you?

Fenris's voice echoes through my mind as I cross by his home. Slowing down a little, I emerge out of the trees that are in line with the cottage-like houses where Fenris and the other guests are staying for the night.

Spotting Fenris on the porch steps, I take in his frown and the barrage of emotions that are tumbling out of his mind and make myself ready for a King's emotional breakdown.

This is going to be a long night!

I bet it would be. Especially after losing control over my mate like that.