Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Who is she?"

That one question is running in my mind for a few minutes now.

She just appeared out of nowhere in the middle of this battle. I watch in amazement as the woman singlehandedly murders Xanthos. With the chaos that's being created due to Xanthos's flailing while he's burning alive, I can't help but admire the woman who caused this. She's standing there silently and completely at ease as she watches Xanthos burn to death.

Only when Xanthos is lying in a heap of ashes on the floor does she break her focus from it and then looks around herself. A bit here and there and then she focuses on the witch, Xanthos's comrade. In a split second, she has another ball of fire ready at the tips of her fingers but Helena is faster as she throws the dagger at Fenris.

And after that, my goddaughter runs in full-fledged speed to catch a falling Connor.

God! This doesn't fail to amuse me. The boy had to put Catrina on the edge. Hmm... Maybe I am being hard on Connor. He loves Catrina. He loves Fenris too. I'll die for my best friend and all that shit.

You get me, don't you?

Then perhaps I should let the boy breathe instead of scaring him.

Hmm. Okay! But who's that witch.

I should've been the one to save Fenris with my speed but I guess I was too busy ogling the woman who happens to be his sister.

My near-future suddenly seems fuzzy to me.

"Dominic. Get her to the infirmary now," orders Sierra while trying to console a hysterical Catrina. My gaze is still focused on the woman as she pulls the dagger out of Connor's chest. She smoothly backs off before she is sprayed in Connor's blood. And then she disappears into thin air.

What's with this disappearing thing?

Trying to not think about the woman anymore, I pick up Catrina making sure that my touch doesn't hurt her and quickly rush into the infirmary. Reaching in time to see Connor being taken into the treatment area for Elder Fridolf to work on him, I set my goddaughter on the nearest chair and pat her head once while covering her with a blanket.

I do not know how to deal with women. The last one who cried in front of me died a few minutes later. And that was the last time when I ever had a meaningful conversation with any womankind. After that, I started feeding on males but never females.

Feeding became a necessity instead of fun. It couldn't be fun anymore as the woman who brought that emotion into my life was murdered right in front of my eyes by a fellow vampire.

And I couldn't save her. Neither could I avenge her. What a useless and hopeless mate I am.

"Dominic. I need you here."

Fenris's voice in my mind pulls me out of my thoughts. Looking at Catrina being consoled by her mother and brother I quietly move out of the infirmary and make way into the dungeon where Helena is no doubt being tortured for more answers.

"Oh, you are finally here," greets Nora as I walk into the groove of this dungeon. It reeks of blood, witch blood which is not at all tempting or tasty.

"So, what is it with the witch?" I ask as I walk beside Nora maintaining a steady distance between us. I am not a huge fan of witches because of their conniving nature. The witches and vampires both are species of psychic beings. Werewolves took over in their strength while witches took over their mental prowess.

We, vampires, have speed but we have psychic abilities too. More than that we have the advantage of being able to work without very less sleep. But we do need to sleep for a couple of hours a day.