The Darkness Within: Part 10

Chapter 10:

It's the 3rd of August 2015.

Damari swings their hazelnut front door wide and slips inside their home.

He's returned from work.

Emerging from their front room, Fallon leans over to embrace her husband.

He's happier than usual; his body had a sweet scent of vanilla perfume.

Fallon notices this.

She always notices the little things.

"How're you, baby? How was work- stressful?"

Fallon smiles, her eyes full of love, appreciation.

She slowly removes his leather coat, caressing his back with her fingers as she goes.

She kisses his neck, leaving multiple staines of red lipstick. Her favourite, at the time.

"Fine. Work was fine" He suddenly grunts.

There's a distinctive change in the tone of his voice.

Shoving her aside, he walks into their large living room to switch on the television.

She follows him in.

She's used to his blunt replies.

She's convinced herself it's his way of displaying his love to her.

Stupid.

She sinks into their large sofa next to him, playfully grabbing the remote from his grasp.

Suddenly, he pauses, his blue eyes resting solely on hers.

"What are fuck are you doing?" His fingers begin to curl up in a ball, veins forming from his arms.

His body glows in vexation.

Startled, Fallon raises from the seat abruptly.

"What do you mean? I was just-

"Go make me something to eat. I'm hungry!" He howls at her, irritably. "I'm starving!"

Fallon's lips wobble in terror, as she struggles to speak, fumbling her words, "I ordered us a meal"

"Well?" He glares at her. " Where is it?"

Hastily, Fallon enters the kitchen.

Opening the fridge, she removes their meal for the night. She forces a smile, convincing herself that he's going to absolutely love the meal she's purchased for them to eat.

"Look - it's here. Looks delicious, doesn't it? And it tastes even better. I had some, as I waited for you to come home" She attempts to make small conversation, as she places the box of Chinese on the counter.

He's angry, she can tell.

But she's used to the shouting, used to the pain.

It's how he expresses his love towards me, she reminds herself.

"Chinese? Chinese?" He sneers. "Am I a joke to you? Come on, tell me Fallon, am I a fucking joke to you? Are you stupid?" He asks her.

Fallon falls silent, her body trembling in fear.

"Come on, answer me. Answer me!"

He stands up, approaching her with anger.

She backs up, trying to smile her pain away.