The Darkness Within: Part 46

Chapter 46:

4th of June, 2017.

9.14pm.

The cold moves in only to meet with the warmth of Fallon's blood. She feels the ice wash over her skin, again and again.

The frigid air has a way of keeping her in movement. Keep on moving, no matter what.

Her breath rises in puffs, as she forces her fingers out of the warmth of her pocket, to push open the door of a bar.

It's new, she can tell by how stale the air is, no substance. Fresh.

Oaklyn had mentioned the new bar, said that she ran into the owner, who offered her his business card.

Young and beautiful, that's what she described him as.

He has weak, tired eyes, just like you Fallon, she had said.

The words ran through Fallon's brain, crushing her heart into a million pieces.

Weak, tired eyes,

'Just like you, Fallon'

She had to take a look for herself...

She steps through, the overwhelming chatter causing her eyes to stir. She runs her hands through her hair, locking eyes with a couple.

The woman mixes her drink with a small spoon, listening to the man, who leans in close as he speaks, probably hoping for a late night kiss. But, by the woman's slightly disgusted expression, he won't be receiving one, tonight.

There's a group of young teenagers sitting on the tall bar stools. Fallon takes a seat by them, leaving a small gap between.

She listens in on their conversation.

One girl growls, complaining about an overdue assignment. By the frown on her friend's face, they don't really care. They would rather talk about boys, or take a guess at who's most likely to get drunk first. The young teenager continues to speak, oblivious of the looks she's receiving.

Fallon takes hold of the free glass of water by the table, taking little sips.

Eventually, he arrives.

Fallon immediately sits up, locking eyes with him for the first time ever since he was a child. Her heart breaks.

She can't remove her eyes from his sight, as she examines every aspect of his face.

His weak, but bubbly brown eyes, the permanent crease above his cheeks, his broad smile. It's him.

A mother's intuition is never incorrect.

The young man stares at her, confused.

He tilts his head. "Uh, is there anything I can help you with, miss?"

Tears begin to drop from her eyes. Her emotions blur out his speech.

The room is suddenly silent, empty, and it's just her and him. Him and her.

"Are you okay, ma'am? Was it something I said?" He frowns, leaning forward to face her. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Instantly, Fallon wipes her face clean, clearing her throat, "Uh, can I have two shots of Margarita, please?"

"I guess I can serve you, until my other staff return from their break. Two shots coming right up!" The young boy turns around, his back to Fallon as his eyes search the wine cellar. He laughs nervously, turning to face her once again.