The Darkness Within: Part 13

Chapter 13:

Fallon's mother is not overly old, but her body has aged past her years.

The occasional strand of her once golden hair can still be seen through the lifeless grey mane that limply frames her aging face.

Fallon notices her forehead, wrinkled by many peaks and trenches caused by years of consistent scowling - with unflatteringly crowned eyes that's permanently drowsy.

Instantly, her mother pulls her into her arms.

"It's been such a long time, Fallon. I've missed you so much" Her breath feels fresh against Fallon's cheek.

'I've missed you too. That's why I decided to visit. I've missed Colorado so much" Fallon murmurs, as her lips pressed against her mother's chest.

Lies, lies, lies.

They roll off her tongue, like a foreign language that she's finally managed to master.

Her mother releases her.

She smiles. "Come on, let's get you inside. It's getting quite chilly, tonight. You know this weather ain't fit for people like us"

She stretches out the front door, beckoning her daughter to follow her inside.

She does so.

Bang.

The door shuts.

The house feels the opposite of welcoming, from the tightening door to the narrow hallway to the compact stairway.

Suddenly, Fallon begins to feel compressed.

Just like old times, she realises.

Her mother leads her into the living room, and she takes a seat.

Upon the walls hang photographs of Fallon as a young child, playing in the front porch.

Fallon grins. "You kept all the pictures"

Instantly, she feels a slight ache in her heart.

The feeling of being loved, appreciated.

She's not used to that feeling.

Not anymore.

"Of course I did. Why wouldn't I? You're my whole life. You give me the will to live"

Her mother speaks as she presses the button to heat up the kettle. "Tea, or coffee? I can't remember which you liked the most"

Fallon chuckles. "Coffee. Coffee would be nice"

Her mother pours the hot water into a giant mug, swirling the organic brewed liquid, before handing the mug to Fallon. "Here you go"

"Thank you" She begins to sip. Her eyes wander around the house, her old home.

She notices the floor is still an old-fashioned parquet with a blend of deep homely browns.

The walls are as green as the summer garden.

The furniture hasn't even changed, she realises, gripping the dry pillows on the sofa.

It has always felt rough to the touch.

Glancing over, she notices her mother's agitated movements, as she walks back and forth. Intensely, she watches as her mother grabs hold of a bottle of whiskey hidden in the back cupboard, and takes a hard swing.