The Darkness Within: Part 47

Chapter 47:

21st of December, 2020.

3:55pm.

Alessio hears the distinctive click of the phone. She's gone.

Instantly, he removes the sim card from the phone gripped to his sweaty palms.

He drops it on the floor, stamping on it three times, using the sole of his shoe to crush the top left. That's the trick that Fallon taught him, helps to ensure the connection is destroyed.

No trace . . .

Emerging from an alleyway, he casually tosses the brick phone into the closest dustbin, before slipping out another from his pocket. He whistles as he walks.

Nothing to see here,

Just a regular, young adult strolling through Brooklyn.

He browses through his contacts, eventually landing on the word 'April'.

He presses call, praying through his heart that she won't answer.

But she does. . .

"Hi!" Her voice breezes through the phone.

"Uh, hey April. I wasn't sure you'd pick up!"

He gulps, taking pleasure in scratching his head with distraught. "I know we didn't leave things off on a high note, so I wanted to invite you to dinner, as friends"

He waits impatiently for her reply, walking up and down the high walk.

She eventually agrees,

Not realising the situation that she has just placed herself in.

And there's no turning back.

Fallon curls her fingers on the black steel bars of her prison cell-

psychiatric home.

Suddenly, an invisible hand clasps over her mouth, as an equally ghostly sense of adrenaline pierces through her heart. Her ribs suddenly become heavy, as if attempting to strain her lungs and she falls to the ground. Her head is a roundabout spinning vigorously out of control, every second pushing her mind into darkness. She eventually rises to her feet, her body instantly glued to the grey walls, as the ghost of Oaklynn appears into existence.

"Leave me alone, please! Just leave me alone!" She screams, pulling her chained hands to clasp her ears shut. Oaklyn strolls towards her, bringing her hand to Fallon's. Slowly, she begins to flick each finger off her ear, one by one, so Fallon can hear the sound of her voice. Her fingers are ice cold, her face almost recognisable as strands of hair stick to her skin. Her cells peel through her cheeks, looking as though they are about to burst. Her eyes glow cynically, as she tilts her pale face to the side, curling her lips up with joy, as if Fallon's mere fear causes her ounces of satisfaction.

"Look everybody, The Great Fallon Johnston!" She croaks, clapping her hands as she laughs hysterically. Fallon whimpers in fear, eventually attempting to sink herself through the thick hospital walls. "Why so frightened?" She mocks, pulling a face of concern as she strokes Fallon's skin with her thumb. "It's only your good ol' friend Oaklyn"

She walks around the room, plunging herself across Fallon's steel bed. She lies comfortably on her back, legs dancing through the air. Fallon stays rooted in her spot.

"So, did you get everything you wanted in life?"

"W-what?" Fallon eventually whispers, her eyes drooling with tears.