The Darkness Within: Part 12

Chapter 12:

9:37am.

Her body won't stop shaking.

Her brain won't stop aching.

Fear.

Afraid for her life, Fallon instantly begins to strip her clothes from her wardrobe.

She takes the majority, knowing she may not be returning for a while.

She shoves them into a large suitcase.

Zip.

She's ready to go.

Grabbing her phone, she enters messages, sending a text to their group:

Hey guys, I haven't been feeling myself lately. As you all know, my husband's death has taken a toll on my life, and with our fifth year anniversary approaching, I'm not sure I can stay in this town.

Therefore, I've decided that I'll be going away for a few days to clear my head.

I'll be back soon.

Love you guys.

- Fallon x

She switches off her phone, chucking it at the bottom of her handbag.

Calling a cab, she takes the quickest route to the airport.

It's cold.

The intensity of the planes cause the wind to rapidly blow the nearby trees, causing them to dance in the same direction.

The airport is large, with seas of people wandering around, trying to catch the earliest flight.

The atmosphere is fresh, full of life.

The airport is surrounded by windows, which display sunlight across the rooms.

Fallon's eyes linger on a woman.

Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Average height.

In her mid-twenties, she assumes.

She's gripping the handle of her suitcase with her life, as if in fear that someone will snatch it.

Trust issues, Fallon guesses.

Lack of trust in herself, and other people, she assumes.

Sad.

Arriving at the closest counter, Fallon catches the eye of a young woman.

She seems well dressed.

Her uniform's neat.

"Can I book the cheapest flight to Colorado?"

The woman glares at her computer, making phone calls and checking the details. "There won't be another flight until later tonight. Seven o'clock. Can you do that?"

Fallon's lips part in shock, her eyes quivering in fear. "Are you sure? Are you sure there isn't even one other flight to Colorado? I can't do seven o'clock. I need to leave this place as soon as I can" Her words stutter in agitation.

"There's a first class flight leaving in less than ten. It's usually quite spacious, due to the usual lack of customers. So, I may be able to get you on- but let me tell you, it won't be cheap"

Fallon takes a deep breath. "It's worth it. Get me out of this city as soon as possible"

Colorado.

5.20pm.

Clouds lie as numerous as pebbles on a beach, small and heaped in chaotic ways.

Fallon glances up, mesmerized by the fascinating view before her.

Above is a writing mist of sky, thin, oddly transparent, like a half erased footprint on the sand.

The clouds rise as soft mountain peaks, topography impossible for anyone to overlook.

Using her phone, Fallon books a taxi, which arrives in minutes.

Entering it, she takes the journey to Glasgow Close, an estate near the main town.

Memories.

They float in her mind.

They won't let go.

This environment is more dull in Glasgow Close.

It's quiet, more peaceful.

Large trees away in the direction of the wind.

The blazing heat of the sun has decreased; it's cooler, more chill in this area.

Fallon always remembered that it had been.

She's arrived at the house.

The house is structured in a low-end neighbourhood with dirt streets.

Fallon takes notice of the one room peeking from the side with two windows open up the heat, burnished to silver-grey by the recent winds and fog.

A small rose garden had been planted in front, and although Fallon remembers it once being carefully planned and loved, the whole front porch was now riddled with weeds, and muck.

Ivy and ferns grew through the crevices of the old winding stone path, which led directly to the colossal structure.

Fallon walks up the path, arriving at the front door.

Knock knock.

She waits, patiently.

She's about to leave.

The door finally opens.

Slowly, she turns back around.

"Hello, mother"