The Darkness Within: Part 48

Chapter 48:

The pain that once felt like fire has faded away, as April feels a numbness flow throughout her body.

Darkness begins to fill the edges of her vision and the only thing she can hear is her own heart beat.

He finally lets go.

She's closer than you think.

Her words continue to ring through Alessio's head, as he drinks his wine straight from the bottle.

He's vomited three times, so far.

It won't stop.

You already know her, Alessio.

Another sip.

The fluid flows into his mouth, causing him pain. He likes it, though.

It takes his mind off the body that lies casually on his wooden floor.

Her words are embedded in his thoughts.

They won't leave him alone.

And it makes him want to die.

23rd of December, 2020.

Alessio lowers his head down, walking at maximum speed through the high street.

The sound of his wet feet splashing against the stone pavement is drowned out by the chaotic traffic.

The usual smell of gas fumes has been taken over by the unique smell of damp wood. You can almost taste it.

He crosses the street, walking along the steep pathway leading to the hospital.

He's astonished by the scale of the building.

For a moment, he stares at its breathtakingly deceitful view.

He's lost in thought, debating whether to turn back, or to step through.

He doesn't want to hear the truth.

It scares him.

She's closer than you think.

You know her, Alessio.

She's closer than you think.

April's everlasting words ring through his head. He shakes them off, stepping into the stale building.

Fallon laughs uncontrollably as two nurses drag her towards the visitors room.

She's been hysteric for days.

They share a look of irritation, as they sit her down. They clip both feet to the leg of her table, to prevent any more sudden episodes from occurring.

Insanity has stolen her mind like a deranged thief, slowly stripping her of any humanity she has left, planting seeds of evil in her head.

It grows roots of a new personality, feeding and watering it daily, until it grows to become a part of Fallon.

It places dangerous lies in her head.

It adds sparks of her ideas.

It lures her further and further away from the person she once was, carving her into the person it wants her to become.