The Darkness Within: Part 6

Chapter 6:

10:32am.

She stands in awe, staring at the large Twin-tailed mermaid on the giant green and white Starbucks logo.

Struck by lust, she stands by a corner.

Her fingers are sweaty as she rolls up a joint, thrusting the tobacco in between her lips. She takes a deep breath, the warmth filling the dark void in her heart for only a couple seconds, before she has to go again. Nothing lasts forever.

There's a strong scent of brewed coffee as she strolls into the enormous café.

Arriving at the till, she smiles at the man behind the counter.

He's tall. Mixed-raced.

Late twenties, she guesses.

Quite attractive, she agrees to herself.

He grins at her.

"May I take your order?"

She smiles again.

"Hi. Can I have a cinnamon toffee crunch Frappuccino with coconut milk and extra sweetener, please?"

"Of course" He types her order into the coffee machine. "That'll be $4.37. Cash or card?"

"Card" Fallon retrieves her bank card from her purse, typing her number into the card machine.

"Thank you. You can remove your card now"

He hands her the drink, ready made.

"No, thank you" She winks at him, before turning away. Her eyes scan the café, as she struggles to find a seat.

The place is filled to the brim with people, as a swarm of teenagers spill in from the side door.

She catches the eye of a young couple, their bodies sitting closely together. The girl can't seem to keep her hands off her boyfriend, her fingers caressing the length of his arm, back and forth, back and forth, as she stares lovingly in his eyes. He seems unbothered, though, his eyes glued to his phone.

Messaging another girl, Fallon assumes.

Well, that's life.

People can't change the way they feel.

Grabbing a stool, Fallon sits by an open window, cold drink gripped in hand.

Her phone vibrates.

It's April.

She suddenly begins to wonder if April has heard the news about Oaklyn deciding to take a sudden trip to Dubai.

Weird.

Oaklyn always hated plans.

She decides to press answer, bringing the phone close to her ear.

Dropping her drink on the bar island, she uses her finger to block the noise coming through from her other ear.

"Babes, what's up? How's it going?"

"How's it going? It's certainly not going fine. This town is going crazy! Haven't you heard?"

"Heard about what?" Fallon's throat is suddenly gripped by fear as she struggles to speak.

"The recent death. A woman. Average height. Brown hair. She's just been found dead by the Hillside Dog Park this morning. It's crazy!"

Fallon's body turns ice.

Grabbing her Frappuccino, she rushes out the door.