The Darkness Within: Part 44

Chapter 44:

19th of Dec, 2020.

Lucinda nods, providing a friendly smile as she allows a young woman to walk into the institution's visiting centre.

The woman is dressed like any other, her face made up, but not overly done.

Her long brown hair is slick in a ponytail.

Yet, somehow, Fallon is drawn to watch her. There is something in the way she carries herself.

Fallon is already waiting for her visitor.

She's placed in her straitjacket, her sunken eyes following the young woman as she takes a seat across from her, in the same spot that April sat in, weeks earlier.

She's becoming used to the routine.

This is her life, now.

There's a nurse standing by either side of Fallon, a hand on each shoulder. She tried to fight them off earlier, but she lost.

She always loses.

She's a loser.

They hold her back, as if she's some type of animal, waiting to be released from her leash, to feed on her prey.

Fallon squints her drained eyes, the body of Damari's younger sister, Storm, fully coming into focus. She stares at her, silent, although she's slightly grinning.

The young woman smiles. "Fallon, it's so nice to see you again. It's been so long"

Fallon tilts her head to the side, examining her closely. "What's up?" Her voice sounds croaked from crying continuously at night. Her eyes lower.

"You seem absolutely exhausted. Are they feeding you right?" Storm leans out to place a hand on hers, before realising that she's strapped up. She shifts her hand uncomfortably, placing it on her lap, slightly embarrassed.

Fallon continues to watch her face, conveying no emotion whatsoever.

"Of course they are. I'm fine" Fallon swallows, remembering that she's being watched. She glances to the side, as one nurse pulls a face. She looks back down.

"Well, you don't seem fine. What do you do in this place, anyway?" Her curious eyes wander around. "It must become so boring after a while. Do you speak to people?"

Fallon shrugs. "Sometimes"

Her blunt replies bring awkward silence.

Storm picks at her nails.

"How did you know I was here?" Fallon breaks the still silence that hangs in the air. "In this centre, I mean-

"My cousin, Annalise. She's also a patient here at this Institution" She glances up at a nurse, who nods, recognising a familiar face. "I used to visit her frequently. But I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to-

"You know Annalise?" Fallon sits up.

Storm nods. "Technically, she's your cousin in law. Are you two close?"

Her eyes rise in shock.

No wonder she felt a strong connection to her from the start.

Connections don't lie.

"We speak occasionally, during our hang out break, or sometimes between meals" Fallon coughs gently against her collar bone.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She smiles with worry. "If I can do anything to assist you during your stay-