Jongho ✦ Grinch AU

Word count: 4,248

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

Years ago when you were still in school, you had a classmate who stood out from the rest

Years ago when you were still in school, you had a classmate who stood out from the rest. His name was Jongho.
His messy, green hair stuck out from the other Whos and the sour look constantly etched onto his features was one everyone talked about. He kept to himself most of the time, staying seated in the back of the classroom, not paying attention and not speaking to anyone unless spoken to first.
You felt bad for him. Part of you always thought he liked being by himself, but another part of you thought he might enjoy some company. So, one day you approached him.

"Hi." You greeted.
His uniquely-colored bright green eyes met yours.
"Hi." He returned, his tone short.
"I'm Y/n."
"I know."
"What's your name?"
You already knew his name, you'd heard it during roll call before, but you wanted him to introduce himself.
"Jongho."
"I like your hair." You complimented.
The sour look on his face fell just a bit.
"You do?"
"Yeah. Were you born like that?"
He nodded.
"That's so cool."
"It is?" He asked, bringing his hand up to touch his viridescent locks.
"Yes. I like it a lot. It's very unique."
That was the first time you'd ever seen him smile.
"Can I sit in front of you?" You asked him.
He gave a small nod in response.

After that day, you started talking to him, saying hello and asking how his day was going. You were unaware of how much Jongho appreciated that. No one had ever showed him kindness like you had. He was used to being ignored, so all this attention from you was new to him, as was the warm feeling in his chest.

Christmas approached and Jongho wanted to do something special for you. He remembered you mentioning during a recent conversation about Christmas that you liked angels. He didn't have the money to buy you one, so he did the next best thing.
He stayed up late, rummaging through his adoptive parents' kitchen, taking anything he might be able to use for his little DIY project. It took him nearly all night, but once he was finished, he knew his hard work had paid off and he couldn't wait to see your reaction.

The next day, you walked into the school dressed in your most festive outfit. As you headed towards your classroom, someone ran up beside you, catching your attention.
"Y/n!"
You turned to see Taehyun, a fellow classmate. He always kind of got on your nerves. He was cocky and often bullied other people, especially ones who weren't snobby and rich like he was, which you didn't like at all. Not one bit.
"What do you want?"
"I got you a present." He grinned, pulling out a necklace with huge diamonds on it.
It was ugly. However, your mom always told you to be grateful, so you thanked him.
"Put it on." He held it towards you.
"Maybe later."
"Come on."
You knew he wouldn't leave you alone, so you gave in, holding your hair up and allowing him to clip the necklace around your neck.

You weren't aware of this, but Jongho, who was on his way to give you your gift, had seen you with Taehyun and hurriedly hid behind a nearby wall. He peeked his head around the corner, watching as Taehyun clipped a flashy necklace around your neck, the dozens of diamonds sparkling under the fluorescent lights in the hallway. He felt his heart sink as he turned his back on the painful scene and walked off.