White Magician 2.2

Opal remained silent and indifferent as he took sips of his coffee. He disregarded Claude's questioning stares and just sat there with his mind blank.

Understanding that Opal would not begin a conversation like he usually would, Claude opened his mouth.

"What... did you do?"

It was a broad and awkward question but Opal understood it all the same. The emperor wanted to ask what he did to have turned completely black. Opal swirled his coffee before placing it down on the table and leaned against his fluffy seat.

"I passed all my untainted mana to Helios. Just passing on the cape."

Opal replied nonchalantly.

"It was about time for a new Master to rise."

"New Master you say..."

"Why yes. I was the White Master."

Claude realized, he didn't know Opal at all. The emperor did not know where he came from or who he was as a person or how he lived before arriving at the palace. The emperor was content just having Opal by his side and receiving the love he offered. He thought it was fine just to show his affection towards Opal as he was but something told him that was not right.

"... Since you've retired... what do you plan to do?"

Opal hummed thoughtfully. He had given his remaining mana to Helios so it would help protect his son. He couldn't let his mana get more tainted than it already was so he figured that handing it to his son than letting it waste was a better idea. His son would probably need it sometime in the future. Now that he had no mana left to be called the White Master, he did not think about what to do after retiring.

Remaining silent, Opal fell into deep thought.

"Do you not wish to get your memories back?"

Claude asked. He feared Opal's answer. The emperor hoped for Opal to wish to get his memories back but Claude knew just how much Opal was suffering so, at the same time, the emperor wished for Opal not to want his memories in fear that he would isolate himself again.

Opal blinked a few times in surprise and turned to look at Claude as making such a suggestion. The previous White Master witnessed how the emperor's ears became red and how his crystal blue eyes would shy away from his gaze. It was strange how someone would react like this towards him. The once-great magician was clueless as to why the emperor was acting like that yet for some reason, it felt nostalgic and calming.

"I cannot get my memories back."

Opal answered as he picked his cup of now cold coffee.

"It looks like someone sacrificed themselves and half of my mana to completely erase my memories. Unfortunately for them, they couldn't completely erase my memories seeing that I still remember that woman. What was her name again? Lesta... Mesta... Rasta.... Whatever her name was that was her name."

Claude paused for a moment. Was Opal this apathetic to people that he didn't even remember the name of the one who gave birth to his first child? How was that possible when Diana's name was so nailed into his memories? Would Opal also forget his name?

Suddenly, a spark of fear and dread clenched onto the emperor's chest. The possibility of Opal forgetting him was something Claude did not want. While Claude was glad that Opal did not remember him right now since they could start over, he was afraid to be forgotten by this new Opal.

"What to do... I cannot go back to the White Tower...."

Opal had thought of going back to the White Tower? Where Claude couldn't reach him?

"Maybe I should travel... I wonder if that Adventure Guild is still standing."

He was still thinking of leaving!

"What about Helios?"

"I was thinking about taking him to see the world. From what I can see, that child still cries far too much and gets scared way too easily. He needs to see the damned world."

"You still remember Helios?"

A question left Claude's lips. How was it that Opal could still remember Helios but not everything else?

Seeming to realize the fact that Opal had not forgotten Helios, Opal felt the desynchronization of his memories. It seemed like he only remembered his children and his dolls and his past hundreds of years ago. Why was that...?

"Anyway, I think I am going to travel."

"I am against that idea."

Claude stood up and made his way to take a seat next to Opal. The previous White Master blinked in surprise and tried to move away but Claude snaked an arm around Opal's hips and locked him in place.

"What do you think you're--"

Opal was about to reprimand the other.

"I don't think it is a good idea to travel around the world, especially with Helios. We don't know who made you like this and for what reason. If they were targeting your mana, then they might come back for it but since you've given it to Helios, then they will be after him."

Claude cut in and gave sound reasoning in which Opal couldn't help but nod in agreement. Opal couldn't use mana now and this tainted mana was not hurting him and keeping him alive, meaning, someone wanted to keep him alive but still forget whatever memory he had. It could be possible they wanted his physical body to experiment seeing that he was probably the last Albanus but needed to get rid of his mana since he was way too strong or maybe they wanted his mana to cease from existing and they could be after Helios.

"You and Helios should stay in the palace until we can identify the cause of your state."

"You're right..."

Relief bloomed within Claude's chest but it was cut short because Opal pushed his arm away and stood up. Without a word, Opal left the room leaving Claude dumbfounded.