Part 2

Sitting in my study sipping whiskey my mind went crazy.

 Who the fuck offers a spare room to a stranger? But mostly, what kind of sane woman agrees to sleep in a strange place with a strange man? My head was pounding with different possibilities and answers to my own questions.

 This girl was clearly scared to death and the way she behaved told me that she had some bad experiences in the past. Or maybe even not in the past. What was she doing at the Gala? I checked the guest list and I knew almost everybody from it. Even after checking the advanced list with photos of participants, I couldn't find her. There was no way she could enter with one of the guests. So that left me clueless and angry at my security team for letting in a stranger.

 I growled lowly and finished my glass in one gulp. Why the hell couldn't I live a normal easy life without any complications?

 After some thinking, I decided that in the morning I would give the girl some money and say goodbye to her once and for all. I didn't need drama in my life. I needed to work and focus on myself. I had no time wondering and solving her mysteries. Whatever they were.

 I left the study and went to the kitchen to rinse the glass. I was earning a lot of money but I wanted to do everything by myself in my life. Including cleaning and cooking. Emily taught me some basics so I was good at it. Living a lonely life without any unwanted attention was my recent goal.

 When I entered the living room I stopped dead on my track. The girl was standing in the middle of the living room looking like some ghost. She was wearing one of the shirts that I gave her. It was reaching her mid-thigh and was loose like on a hanger but still, I could see her long legs. The upper buttons were open showing just a little of her sharp collarbone. Her head was lowered and she was playing with the hem of the shirt.

"Is something wrong? Do you need anything?" finally, at least some words came out of my mouth. 

 But she just stood at the same place without uttering a word, head low, trembling hands. It was becoming uncomfortable and I was really starting to feel pissed off.

"Listen, tell me what is it or go to bed. I have no time for riddles here," I said with an annoying voice. She flinched at my words and finally looked up. 

 Moving from one leg to another she finally whispered to me.

"Nancy"

"Your name is Nancy?" I asked moving closer to her but still keeping a good distance. I didn't want to have a scene in the middle of the night. Although I had no neighbors because my apartment took all the floor. But still.

 She nodded her head and looked into my eyes. I was confused at this kind of behavior but her next moves gave me a shock.

 She inhaled deeply and started moving her wobbly legs to me.

 "Are you okay? Do you need something?" I had no idea what that girl wanted but now I was curious what she was going to do.

 She shook her head abruptly stopping right in front of me. I noticed how small she was. I was almost 6'3 and she was barely reaching my chest with the top of her head. Unconsciously I thought how easy it would be to hug her and kiss her head.

 Wait, what?

 We were standing in complete silence not daring to move.

 Slowly her eyes moved up from my chest, then to my jaw, and then to my eyes. The lights were off but I could see that her eyes were in light color from the moonlight that shone from the windows. Blue or maybe green. It was hard to tell. They were glossy and I could see a fight happening inside of them.

 I was so engrossed in those damn eyes that I hadn't noticed that her hands moved to the buttons of her shirt and she started to unbutton them. Tears filled her eyes but she didn't stop.

 I was beyond pissed now. My blood boiled in a second, running in my veins like lava.

 I caught her hand in a hard grip just when she was undoing the last button.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" I hissed at her face. "Do you think I'm some kind of bastard that would take advantage of a girl in such a situation?" I asked loudly not letting go of her hand. I was trying really hard not to snap at her but she was fucking strange.

 Her face became pale and fear engulfed her eyes. She started shaking uncontrollably and quiet sobs left her lips.

 I let her hand go when I came down from shock and took a few steps backcombing my dark hair with my fingers. 

 She was standing like a lost puppy with tears in her eyes covering her chest. This was without a doubt the most confusing situation in my life.

 "Fuck!" I threw the glass I forgot I was holding into the near wall. Sharp glass scattered around the floor, the sound resonating in a silent room.

 "Go to sleep and I want you out of my home in the morning. I arranged a new set of clothes for you, they will be delivered by 7." and with that, I went to my bedroom closing the door with all my force.

 What kind of sick fuck did she think I was?

 I took a cold shower and fell on my bed. Why would something like that happen to me?

 It is all you Tony. Why would you bring her here at all?

 Well, maybe because I believed what Emily said, that I was actually a good man.

 Emily. I sighed loudly I took my phone logging into social media. I haven't done it for over a year now. After her last post about being pregnant, I couldn't convince myself to look at her photos with a round belly and shining eyes. 

She must be the best mother ever.

 To my surprise, there were no new photos on her profile and even the old ones were deleted. Maybe she had created a new page?

 Or maybe she doesn't want you to look at her? You dumped her! She deserved to have you even if just like a friend near her! She considered you as her older brother!

 I closed my eyes and shut my phone surrendering to sleep. What was done was done.

 Morning came faster because of all the tossing and turning. In total, I slept less than two hours. I was pissed and I had to go to work and yell at somebody.

 Exiting the bedroom, I smelled bacon and...pastry?

 I moved to the kitchen and saw Nancy stirring something in the pot.

"Why the fuck aren't you out?" I asked moving closer to the stove. It was scrambled eggs and some bacon. Fuck, I was hungry.

 She stilled for a second but then moved away from the stove and lowered her head. She was really starting to annoy me with this habit of hers.

 "I have no place to go. Can I work for you? I can cook and clean," she pleaded not daring to look into my eyes.

 I served myself eggs and bacon and sat on the kitchen counter. She was glued to her spot while I ate silently.

 Finally, after finishing my breakfast I put the dishes in the washing machine and moved closer to her.

 I lifted her chin with my fingers seeking her beautiful eyes. Yes, they were indeed bright green. I paused looking into her orbs, seeking anything there. Lies, truth, desperation, anything.

 "If you want to work for me you have to tell me all about yourself, what were you doing at the Gala, and how you ended up homeless," I commanded looking at those innocent eyes. "I allow you to stay here while I will be back. Prepare a good story with a delicious diner and I will consider you as my maid" letting her go I snatched the to-go mug with my coffee and went to work.

__________________________

So, Tony is giving up. What do you think will happen next? Will he let her stay? What role will she be doing?

ONE MORE PART IS COMING TODAY!