Part 18

"Have you seen him?" Emily questioned me just when I entered the apartment.

 I put my luggage on the floor taking off my jacket. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to tell her the whole story.

 "Yes," I moved to the bar and took two glasses with a whiskey bottle.

 "I suppose it wasn't good if we're drinking" I could see the concern in her eyes.

 After passing her a glass I made myself comfortable on the couch.

 "If I tell you everything do you promise not to break hell and just take it all as it is?" I asked cautiously.

 Emily's face was now unreadable. She just stared at me blankly. Honestly, it was a bit scary. That woman was always a bag of emotions and now she was just sitting opposite me looking like a white piece of paper giving up nothing at all.

 "Okay, I will tell you but don't look at me like that. You make creeps run down my spine" I tried to ease her up. Not that I was a funny man.

 "A long time ago before you, Daniel had problems. He met Alex and started working with him in the drug business. It wasn't something major but Alex convinced him that Daniel could earn money from it to start his own legal business. That was the time he started using drugs." I sighed loudly remembering the day Daniel came home high for the first time.

 Emily gulped all the whiskey from her glass and stood up to pour herself more. I couldn't blame her.

 After she finished the second glass in one go she sat back on the couch and closed her eyes.

 "Go on." was all she said.

 "Every day I saw Daniel more drowned in drugs. After a two-month time, he was a completely different man. I had to bring him home from parties half dead. I tried to convince him, I tried to lock him up but in no vain. Every time Alex came and it all repeated in circles till one accident..." this was the worst part and I had to tell her this. 

 "Alex convinced Daniel to buy drugs from one of the Italian drug cartels. Being Italian I knew what clan they were talking about and I knew if they would start working with them it would be the end of honest life for Daniel. They arranged a meeting with them but I managed to contact some people in Italy and said that the meeting was a setup. I know it was a bad choice but I had no other option. When Alex and Daniel were going there I called Daniel and said I was in trouble and needed his help so Alex went by himself and Daniel should have arrived after helping me. By the time Daniel arrived there were police everywhere and Alex got arrested. Daniel was left in the shadows thanks to my connections. After that incident, I sent him to rehab and he was clean all that time. Until Alex was released from prison."

 "What an interesting story! What else? Did he sell women to human trafficking? Killed someone?" her hands were trembling and I could see tears starting to form in her eyes.

 "Princess..." I started but she cut me off.

 "No!" she stood from the couch throwing the glass at the wall. "I was living with a person I don't even know! What the fuck Tony?" her red eyes were fuming with anger, tears rolling down her puffy cheeks. "You let me live with a fucking drug addict! Oh my God!" she started pacing around crying and mumbling something under her breath.

 I stood from the couch and stopped her crazy walk around the living room hugging her from behind.

 "It's okay Princess" I tried to calm her down. "It's all in the past," her body was shaking so I hugged her tighter and after some time she became quiet and gripped my hands tightly.

 "I just...I can't..." I could feel her pain. Every cell in my body was aching for her.

 "I know...And I'm sorry" was all I said. I nuzzled my nose in the crook of her neck soothing her. "Let's get some sleep. You're drunk and too upset." I nudged her to move to her room.