𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

Trigger warning: mention of mental illness and death.

"Hongjoong! Dinner is ready!"

Screamed the woman from the kitchen as she places her hand flat with one side pressed against the corner of her mouth to amplify the call. Hongjoong, being the little, big, five years old man he was, jumped down his bed and landed on both his feet without ever losing the grip around his favourite toy, a sailing ship with light indigo sails, golden ropes and dark mahogany structure. His feet thumped on the light parquet, while his mouth produced sounds that, in his opinion, resembled the ones produced by the sea during a storm and he was the fearless captain able to control a ship that was about to founder. 

The boy turned to the left to exit his room, his socks slipped on the floor but he maintained control of his balance in the same way he was governing the ship in his imagination. He ran through the corridor, making his toy sway to avoid the furniture and the ornaments, like a flower vase, pictures, and the dehumidifier which released a calming smell of lavender.

He landed in the kitchen with the last thud of his feet and made his ship drift on the wooden table before placing it in a straight position and screaming.

"Drop the anchor, crew! We have arrived!"

The two adults, Hongjoong's parents, giggled for the fervid imagination coming from their son. That little and brief laugh that filled the kitchen for ten seconds also helped them hide their nervousness from the child who, in fact, didn't notice anything. The woman placed small, white bowls at the centre of the table and big, dark dishes full of steamy and spicy tofu and kimchi stew.

The kid starts eating with gusto under the attentive, yet adoring stare of his parents. What they were going to say was about to change everyone's life and were hoping their son was able to accept it. The mother and the father exchanged quick looks during the dinner, but only at the end decided to reveal the secret. 

The first one to talk was the man after clearing bus throat and intertwining his fingers, searching for a funny way to say what he wanted to say.

"Hongjoong, there's a big surprise coming for all of us."

Claimed the father as he moved his eyes from his son to his wife, his kids curled in an enthusiast smile he couldn't handle. The word moved to the woman, who was jumping on her chair and bit her lower lip before finally revealing the big news.

"You're going to be a big brother, Hongjoong!"

His mom clapped her hands, while his dad looked at him with the biggest smile the child had ever seen on his face. Hongjoong, on the other hand, was shocked, no words, no sound could exit his mouth. Finally, his dream of having a little sister or brother to take care of was becoming reality and he couldn't wait to hold his baby brother in his arms, to play with him or her, and to take care of him or her in any way possible.