74. Timelines

The information they received left them bewildered as they tried to organise it all inside of their heads, not able to recognize what should be their top priority in regards to this news. Levi and Sophie wondered whether they should prioritise the information about their families or Eric's whole reveal of time travel. They were torn in this matter. As soldiers and Eldians they felt obliged to care the most about the travels, but as the married couple they couldn't stop thinking and wondering what kind of tests Nathalie would run on them the next day.

"Are you mad?" Levi asked as they were alone in their room, finally left by the rest of the Scouts and Hizurus who were everywhere in the massive mansion that was the embassy. Sophie was having her lips pursed, nails dug in her skin and her legs tapping impatiently. Her eyes were absent for a moment, a sign that she was deep in her thoughts, something that always left Levi concerned as he couldn't figure out what was going on inside of her head, what kind of things she was thinking of. Of course, he knew that it was about the revelations that they heard earlier that day, but he had no idea what her attitude towards it was. There was no time previously to talk about it freely.

"I'm upset," she said after a while and buried her face in her palms as she sighed heavily. He gave her a minute, waiting patiently for her to continue which she finally did. "I feel like the whole time travelling will force us to focus on that rather than our thing,"

He couldn't disagree. He believed the same as he saw how Erwin's eyes sparked when Eric told about his ability. There was no doubt that he was going to prioritise it, hence everyone will have to prioritise it as well. "We knew why we came here," he said to her as he placed his hands on her shoulders, rubbing them gently. "This visit was never meant to be about us," he said quietly and he gritted his teeth, knowing exactly how frustrated Sophie was. He was as well. All he wanted to do was to sit in that Burgess' lab and don't leave it unless they'll find the solution that would stop his beloved's suffering. Heck, the solution that would solve his own suffering that was watching how his wife had to drug herself just to spend time with him. It was an excruciating pain and he started to believe that it was masochistic. Why else would he stay with her? Why else would he be so egoistic to put his need of being with her first instead of her well-being?

"It sucks," she chuckled bitterly and wiped the tears that started flowing down her face. She finally found the person that could help them and a Leitz to get all the information about her family. And now not only they might be forced to focus on another issue, but also there might be no solution to their issue at all. Nathalie said that she would try helping them. She didn't promise them that her tests would go somewhere. No, they might go through it all, deal with whatever Erwin was going to order them and still end up with no cure for her rage. It was deeply upsetting.

"Come here," Levi whispered as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to his chest. She could hear how steady his heartbeat was, how perfectly calm he was even though she could tell he was as much angry as her. He just didn't want to show it, he wanted to be strong for them both and that's why she decided to pull her shit together. She managed to look at him, no tears in her eyes now as she placed a tender kiss on his lips, hoping it would soothe both his and her pain. "Maybe we shouldn't act like the time travelling thing is going to put us apart from our main issue, you know? Maybe we can use it for our benefit,"

"Maybe you're right," she said. "But we don't even know how it works," she added and shook her head. She was tired. Tired of all the things that weren't explicitly helpful. Her instinct was silent, not letting her know if Eric's abilities would be helpful. She had no idea for now and she didn't like that. She was so afraid of wasting her time. She already felt as if she lost too many of it apart from Levi. Ever since she got together with him she wanted to focus on him as much as it was possible. Whenever something was distracting her from it she was mad, outraged. The only thing that seemed to be a justified distraction was chasing the solution for her rage. If she wasn't entirely positive that a distraction was getting them closer to that, she didn't want to bother with it at all, no matter how tempting it could be.