115. The boy with grey eyes

Eric had to really focus. He wasn't entirely sure whether he even had enough energy to create such a complicated gap between timelines to push through it with more than one person, but he had to try. He was willing to risk his life if needed, because what other choice he was left with? None. There was no one to help them. If he was going to die anyway, at least he would do something good before that happens. I'll at least save them, he reassured himself as he joined their hands together and began to create the gap.

He was frustrated as he realised that the gap was being created slower than usual. Come on, he almost sobbed out loud. Cooperate with me, he begged...he didn't know exactly what he begged. Himself? The timelines? Universe? His powers? Powers that were clearly abandoning him at the worst moment possible. It seemed like the special ability that he possessed during birth was now evaporating. It felt like all of these years he was a vessel full of magic and now his injuries made the vessel hurt, creating a hole that caused his skills to leak irretrievably.

The pale faces of Nathalie and Sophie weren't helpful, Hope's feared one as well. She was deeply scared and he couldn't do anything about that without losing a precious time that he still had left to save them. "There's s-something happening," Hope suddenly whispered and pointed with her head behind him. He quickly turned into that direction, fearing that the troops were so determined to kill them all that they wouldn't be satisfied until they would find their dead bodies.

When he focused on the area that Hope pointed at, he noticed that there was indeed some kind of movement between the tiny slots that were letting in small amounts of air and light inside. The slot was slowly getting bigger and he finally noticed what Hope spotted earlier and what he couldn't see at first as his vision was really blurry, only then he realised it was because his glasses were broken.

They spotted a hand pushing the rocks, probably trying to get inside. He waited in anticipation for what was going to come, still trying to split his attention between that and creating a gap in timeline that would be able to relocate Nat, Sophie and Hope elsewhere. He finally heard a whisper coming from the other side "do you think they're here?" The person was clearly talking to his comrade. He didn't recognize the voice, but he for sure could distinguish one accent and dialect from another and that made him realise that those people outside had to be Eldians. They were vocalising the same sounds as Sophie, Levi and the rest of them with whom he got a chance to talk.

"What if they're dead?" The other person asked, she was Eldian as well and clearly afraid of the mere possibility.

"Then we're shitty at our job, let's keep digging. Others are searching the rest of the area and probably already cleared up more space than we did," the man replied and it made Eric think about the time in a different way than usual. How many hours have we been here already? He asked himself, but that was the question that would stay unanswered until he would get out of this place, hence he stopped with the gap creating and instead tried to crawl to the slot where these two were digging. He couldn't yell, otherwise he would have to potentially deal with another avalanche and that one would not only kill all four of them, but also those Eldians that were clearly here on a rescue mission, dare he say on a rescue mission dedicated especially to finding them . It was both flattering and heartwarming knowing that someone was searching this area to get them out of here. But how on earth did they figure out that someone would be buried here?! That thought couldn't leave his head and so he tried to crawl towards them even faster, ignoring the pain that his body was alarming him about.

He finally reached the slot and helped them move the rocks as for now he still didn't feel secure enough to call for them. The wall that was dividing them was still too thick to speak comfortably. Besides, he was worried that he wouldn't be able to make a sound anymore. He was so thirsty as he didn't even remember when was the last time that he drank something.