Love is a fickle thing

Kenjaku's left you in a large master bedroom. The theme fits the Suguru you know to a tee. You're in a traditional Japanese styled bedroom. The room is much more inviting than your cold one-bedroom apartment. Just sitting here in the room eases up your unsteady emotions.

You're still processing the events leading you up to this point. This morning you jumped out of your hospital bedroom and now you're in an unreachable location in Kenjaku's bedroom. You stare at the futon you're sitting on and the sensation of the tatami mat beneath your feet. You're far from home. You twiddle your fingers against the bracelet Yaga's given you.

"Sorry for making you wait so long Y/N." Kenjaku returns with a wet cloth and a tube that looks like ointment. He hides something behind him, making you antsy. But you don't have to wait long to find out what he's hiding from you. "This is short notice so we'll have to go shopping tomorrow. Will one of my yukata robes be okay for you to change into?"

Kenjaku extends a familiar yukata robe over to you. It's the yukata robe that Suguru wears often. His favorite black yukata robe with a gold-colored rakusu garment. Your heart rattles at the sight and you accept the robe from him. "Thank you Ke--Geto." You catch yourself slipping. Kenjaku forms a small smile from your words.

He sits beside you, careful to remove your sleeves to reveal your shoulders again. "You're free to change when I clean your injuries up." You nod your head, eyes down to your lap. Your fingers rub against the material of the yukata. A sensation you missed.

Kenjaku carefully wipes the dried blood from your shoulders. You grit your teeth from wanting to groan out. There's a slight sore around the area. "Hurts?" Kenjaku murmurs under his breath, his attention completely focused on cleaning the area.

You turn your attention over to him, your words stuck in your throat. Seeing Suguru's face this close again stirs at your heart. His clear complexion, the long length of his lashes, his soft gentle eyes on your skin. You force yourself to close your eyes. Chanting several times that this is Kenjaku and not Suguru.

You're broken out of your chant when you feel a soft pair of lips against your shoulder. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to stop these injuries from happening. You're handling this like a champ, love." Kenjaku curls his lips into a tiny smile. His breath tickling your skin.

His second sentence breaks your rationality. Hearing Suguru's voice praise you again stirs an emotion you haven't felt in months. It's one thing for someone to tell you that you've done a good job today and another when it comes from the person you love. Your weakness is the praises Suguru will reward you with.

The way he speaks in such a gentle tone. The look in his eyes full of admiration and adoration. All of it makes you melt before him. You try to restrain yourself for once. Fighting the urge to hear more praise. "It's just a few cuts." You murmur under your breath.

Kenjaku hums out, patting the warm hot towel on your other shoulder. "Don't play off your injuries as if they're nothing Y/N. I know how much you care about your appearance." Kenjaku mimics the same action he's given to your other shoulder. Several small kisses against your bare skin.

"Looks like whoever it is that left these marks, was a bit too touchy with my princess. I'll be sure to teach him a lesson next time." Kenjaku places the warm towel on a bamboo end table.

You shake your head, staring at Kenjaku's face. "It's alright. You don't have to do that Geto. I handled it myself." Kenjaku flicks his eyes away from the ointment in his hand. You watch a smile curl on his lips, a soft chuckle.

"I know you can. But at least let me protect you sometimes Y/N. What good of a boyfriend would I be if I let my pretty princess get hurt?" Kenjaku sneaks a quick kiss to your cheeks before returning his attention to the ointment. He squeezes a small drop onto his fingertip, careful to rub it in.

Your face easily heats up and you hate how you're swayed by his sweet words. An aching feeling of sadness clouds over you when you recall these similar conversations with the real Suguru. You squeeze your eyes shut to push the tears back. Kenjaku looks alarmed, he pulls his finger away. "Is everything alright Y/N?"

You shake your head, hiding your face with your hands. You're not mentally prepared for this plan. You regret every second of your actions right now. You're fighting yourself mentally. You ache to give in and pretend this is the real Suguru. While the other part of your mind frequently tells you that this isn't real.

"I miss you so much Geto." You utter out your true thoughts. "Why did you leave me alone?" Your shoulders tremble and you're unable to hold back your pain. Tears litter your palms and your nose goes runny.

Kenjaku silently stares at Y/N. She falls apart in front of him, dropping her guard. He sets the ointment beside the warm towel. Kenjaku stretches one arm out, resting his hand on the side of her head to pull her head against his chest.

What Kenjaku knows for sure, is the pain Y/N's feeling is real. Right now she's not putting on a front. He feels heartbroken for her. She cries in her hands, hiding her tears from him. Kenjaku kisses the top of her head, his free hand rubbing her back in circular motions.

"I'm right here Y/N. I'm sorry for leaving you alone for so long. It won't happen again, okay? I promise." Kenjaku speaks in a soft whisper. He pulls his hand away from her head to pry her hands away from her face.

You slowly flutter your eyes open to stare at Kenjaku. His brows slowly knit together with worry. You're unsure if he's only playing along for you or if he's genuinely caring about you. There's just too much thinking involved right now. You only wish to have a blank mind.

You feel Kenjaku's fingertips wipe your tears away. "I've made you cry a lot today. Haven't I? I'm sorry. Is it alright if I cheer you up?"

Sniffling, you stare at Kenjaku in silence. "Cheer me up?" You raise a brow, unsure where he's going with this. Kenjaku whispers for you to close your eyes and you hesitate to do so. You stare into his black eyes, not seeing a trace of mischief behind them.

Hesitantly, you slowly close your eyes for him. You hear your heart beat against your eardrums, your palms growing clammy. A moment goes by where nothing happens. It seems like Kenjaku must be wrapped in his own thoughts. You're about to open your eyes when you feel a soft peck on your left eyelid.

Kenjaku then places a soft kiss to your right. He slowly runs his fingers through your hair, stroking it. "Get changed into the yukata. I'll come back with something to feed that belly of yours. You haven't had anything to eat all day, right? I'm sure a late night snack will cheer you up."

You feel Kenjaku unravel himself from you. A coldness quickly replaces the warmness you felt from him. You flutter your eyes open to see the door close. You were sure things were going to take a turn for something more sensual. But you're pleased to know Kenjaku is aware of how wrong things will be if the two of you were to do so.

You're aware he's not Suguru and so is he. You inhale deeply when your mind becomes more clear. With the room to yourself, you quickly change before Kenjaku returns.

Kenjaku roams the empty hallways with his mind heavy. This pretend fantasy he puts on for Y/N is carrying his own emotions away. He quickly formed a solution to ease her nerves by saying he'll make her food. Otherwise he would've done something he shouldn't have. An evil man like him knows his limits.

He loves to see the world fall apart but breaking a woman who's heartbroken seems too cruel even for his own standards. This thought alone sends fear through Kenjaku. Y/N's only been by his side for less than a day and she's already made him worry about her. Love is a fickle thing. One that can change someone's view completely.

Kenjaku needs to be wary whenever he's around Y/N. She may become someone who stops him from carrying out his plan with her gentleness.