A kind gesture

A day before Christmas.

You knock on Junpei's door, a box in your hand. You faintly hear the sound of shuffling feet against the wooden floors. The door opens before you and a smile tugs on your lips when you stare at the brown haired boy. Junpei raises a brow, his green eyes resting on your face. "What are you doing here so late at night Y/L/N?"

"Can I come in?" You raise the box in front of your face, gently shaking the box. Junpei steps aside, allowing you to walk into his room. You seat yourself on a cushion in front of the coffee table. Junpei closes the door, his lips pursing.

"Shouldn't you be in your bedroom with Kenjaku?" Junpei murmurs, his strides short when he seats himself across from Y/L/N. Her eyes dart to the clock on the back wall, her finger pointing at the time. It's five minutes before Christmas when Junpei looks over at the clock. He puts two and two together.

Did she come here to spend the first moments of Christmas with him? The thought forms a warm feeling in his chest. This will be the first year without his mother around. He told himself to not make a fuss over the holiday. But it's hard not to with Y/L/N's kindness.

"Kenjaku's not home. I think he's preparing for the battle." Your words are unsteady. The dread in your soul grew as each day crept closer to Christmas. It's the day whether you'll survive or die. Who wouldn't dread the idea?

Shaking your dark thoughts away, you slide the present over to Junpei. "I know the two of us started off on the wrong foot. But, I saw this and thought of you." Junpei carefully extends his hand out to grab the present. He inspects the beautifully tied bow on top of the tiny box.

"I'm sorry I didn't get you anything." Junpei raises his eyes over to Y/L/N. She shakes her head, waving both hands in front of her with a tiny smile. "You've done a lot for me Junpei. More than I could ask for. Your trust is a gift in itself."

Junpei grows shy from Y/L/N's words. He darts his eyes down to the gift. The heat in his cheeks bloom and he's speechless. Y/L/N stares at the clock, waiting for the second hand to hit the 12. When it does, she insists Junpei to open the gift. He silently does so.

The room fills with the sound of Junpei unwrapping his Christmas gift. Placing the wrapping paper aside, he stares at the white box. Junpei is careful to lift the lid off. There lays a beautiful silver locket with a design of a jellyfish embezzled on top. He's careful to open the locket.

His eyes widen in shock with his breathing hitched. Y/L/N silently smiles when she observes Junpei's behavior. "Merry Christmas." She whispers. Junpei's eyes well up in tears, his thumb stroking the photo that's inside of the locket. It's a photo of him with his mother.

Junpei averts his attention to Y/L/N, fighting to wipe his falling tears. "How did you get this photo? I don't remember telling you about my mother or anything." Y/L/N winks, her right pointer finger raised to her lips.

"I have my ways. I'm pretty sneaky, you know." She giggles wholeheartedly. Junpei sniffles, his lips twitching into a frown. His eyes fall back to the photo in the locket.

Junpei speaks between clench teeth and sniffles. "This is the first year without her. I didn't expect it to hurt so much. I figured I was numb to all of my emotions. But it seems like I'm not."

"Because you're still human Junpei. You're not like these other cursed users in this home." You extend your hand across the coffee table, stroking Junpei's hair. He stiffens from your touch but he doesn't pull himself away. "You're a good kid Junpei."

Your words must've stabbed Junpei in the chest. His sobs becomes louder and his shoulders tremble in response. He clutches the locket close to his chest, letting his tears out. Your brows furrow and you watch Junpei with worry. "Sorry, I didn't purposely want you to cry from the gift."

Junpei shakes his head. You pull your hand away but he carefully grabs hold of them. "Thank you Y/L/N for the gift. I'll cherish it." You relax your shoulders, nodding your head. Junpei pulls his hand away from yours. You flick away his tears before standing up on your feet.

"We should get some sleep now. Today is going to be a shit show." You make your way over to Junpei's bedroom door. Junpei slowly gets up, sliding the locket into his pocket. He flutters the last tear away and clears his throat.

"Y/L/N." Junpei's voice comes out shaky. You turn around to look at him, your brows knit together with worry. "Yeah?" Junpei casts his eyes to the side, scrunching his nose. His bangs fall over his right eye.

"You would've been a cool sister." Junpei murmurs under his breath, his hand scratching the back of his neck. You burst into laughter from his sweet comment. "Thanks, I guess."

"There's also one more thing I want to say before you go." Junpei slurs his words, his eyes nervous to meet yours. You remain silent, waiting for him to continue. He raises his arms wide apart, his lips pursing into a fine line. "Is it alright if I get a hug?"

Your eyebrow raises, a perplexed look on your face. Without a word, you walk over to Junpei. You pull Junpei's thin body close to you in an awkward embrace. You can't recall the last time you hugged anyone. But the same can be said with Junpei. He chuckles at how awkward the two of you are being.

His laughter full of warmth and joy. You feel his arms tighten around you and you do the same. "I would've never thought I'd hug the person I was determined to kill." Junpei pulls away, muttering under his breath. The corner of your lips curl into a smile, "Me neither."