40 | neck deep

Miliani's POV

The best part of waking up early morning is watching the sunrise. My room doesn't provide a full view of the sun coming out from the horizon like we see in the movies but it sure makes my room light up in the hues of red, orange and pink. It completely changes the mood of the room, usually, my room looks dull and boring but in the mornings it makes me feel at home. The same home which brings out the best and the worst memories.

Currently, I was sitting on the floor of my room facing the open window with a cup of coffee and a smile on my face, just watching the sun. The sun reminds me of Layla. Bright, lively and full of energy. She was the same, always full of energy, playing pranks with me to scare our parents or simply singing with me while she drove me to school. At that time it was normal because I knew we'll do it again the next day then the next day until I graduate but suddenly it changed, my life did a whole 360° and I was left driving alone with the radio as a background sound only to fill the void I felt.

Layla in some sort was my soulmate, I shared a large fragment of myself with her, even though she was older but I always thought of her as my twin, we didn't share a womb but in my heart, she was my other part. She always laughed at my theory- I was adamant that we both were supposed to be twins but mom and dad couldn't wait so god send her first, just to keep them happy- Layla would shake her head and call me crazy but deep down she believed me. I made her do many telepathic experiments with me to prove that we both were in fact twins. They were mostly right.

Now, as I think of those times It surprises me that how much Layla knew me, if I was sad she would bring me ice cream without saying anything. it's like she somehow understood I was having a bad day or when I was upset. She knew me enough to tell when I was lying, which changed everything because she knew me. Our memories were beautiful, endless.

"mili, if you don't climb out of bed I swear I will tickle you" she started tickling me. I gasped before kicking her out of my bed.

"Layla it's Sunday" I whined, she just smiled at me before sitting next to me.

"I know but it's also your birthday, so we're going to the BEACH HOUSE" she shouted before jumping on my bed. I completely forgot about my birthday, my own birthday. Wow! I'm so dumb.

"Wait! You said beach house. OH MY GOD, WE'RE GOIMG TO THE BEACH HOUSE" I exclaimed before she hugged me.

"Happy birthday, mili. I love you"

"I love you too Layla" I whispered.

I smiled at the memory, Layla was so excited and happy that we were going to the beach house. It was out favourite holiday destination, we always played hide and seek and eat ice cream while sitting on the edge of the swimming pool. I wiped the tear away that somehow fell down my eyes. Layla was the best friend no one can compare to. She was my everything.

I sighed before taking a sip from my coffee, it was 7 in the morning exactly an hour before I was supposed to reach school. I was showered and dressed for my day. Today seemed like a lazy day, my eyes barely opened when I woke up but feeling a heavyweight on my stomach made me jolt awake. I looked down and saw Caim was sleeping with his head on my stomach like usual. I don't know why he likes to sleep on my stomach, his hands around my waist and legs in between mine. We were in the same position as last night, minus his head on my chest as it shifted down to my stomach. The night prior was an experience, watching Caim stumbling over his words or simply looking like a child with his cheeks tinted pink along with his nose. I can't believe he climbed up my window, I was surprised and thrilled when he entered the room.

A quiet rustling broke me out from my mind, I looked over to Caim who was stretched out on my bed like he owned it, his face was buried in my pillow while his hands and legs, sprawled on the mattress. I smiled and shook my head, he still somehow resembles a kid. His hair was tousled, shirtless but his face overshadows his body. I have seen him, vulnerable, angry, laughing but right now he looked calm and at ease. Those silver of eyes, hidden beneath his close lids.