Chapter 40: Under a Rock and a Hard Place

I never thought I'd be able to say it, but todays exercise was the hardest I've ever had to do. Since our two months of training has past and I've returned from a forest of hell with a psychotic legendary running the place, Sir Greninja decided it was time for a "pre-test". I have to fight Sir Greninja and land five successful attacks on him in five minutes.

Otheriwise, he'll kick me in the head for not trying hard enough, take away my eating privelages for the day, and make me carry heavy boulders for the next 8 hours until night time and then I can sleep. And if I failed today I would only have to suffer the same crap tomorrow with less time to attack him and he'll increase the attack count by one.

I've been training with Sir Greninja long enough to know everything he had in store for me if I failed. Plus he told me everything he would do if I screwed this up. But he never mentioned kicking me so hard in the skull my head would spin. That was just an obvious assumption by me.

"Okay Damian... Are you ready for your pre-test?" Sir Greninja asked.

I nodded, "Yes, Sir Greninja."

"Very well..." I expected him to attack me head on but...

I raised an eyebrow at Sir Greninja.

He sat down with his legs crossed and closed his eyes. Meditating like I've seen him do before.

I scratched my head in confusion.

"Umm... Okay?" I pondered.

In one second I charged an aura sphere and blasted it at Sir Greninja. I expected to make impact, but I only found my blast hurdling right back at me!

The aura sphere struck me in the face, knocking me to the ground and forcing me to grab my nose in pain.

"Oww... What the heck?" I groaned.

I stood up as I noticed I was wasting time. I wiped the blood from my nose with my arm and wondered what exactly Sir Greninja was doing.

He threw my aura sphere back at me without even moving an inch! How'd he do that!?

"Hmm..." I wondered.

I decided to charge him dead on, only to find myself being smacked in the face by an invisible wall.

I shook my head as I regained my balance.

Is he using light screen or something? I can't even touch him!

I cocked my arm back and my first attempt to punch the invisible wall only to find myself facing excruciating pain as a result.

I bared my fangs and clenched my eyes shut, fighting off the intense pain I felt in my right paw.

"3 minutes left..." Sir Greninja blurted.

I swore under my breath.

He's using some kind of shield thing to keep me from hitting him. I know there's an attack to break this thing but what is it? My inner voice panicked.

It wasn't long before I realized I knew the attack, but at the same time I didn't.

Brick break! Its brick break! DAMN IT! HE NEVER TAUGHT ME BRICK BREAK!

"I can't beat you, it's impossible," I whined.

"Remind me to kick you in two and a half minutes for breaking rule one," Sir Greninja stated calmly.

"I don't know how to use..." I stopped myself.

Maybe it was best he didn't know what I was trying to do. Maybe he wasn't expecting me to use brick break. I wasn't going to win this today, but it doesn't mean I won't learn brick break tomorrow.