Chapter 24: With Great Power

Two weeks have past, and Buniot was only generous as he allowed me to stay with him in the duration. I don't think he ever wanted me to go, and I honestly didn't want to go myself. Being isolated for so long in hiding was enough to drive anyone crazy. It felt great to stretch my legs out finally. The two weeks weren't spent lazing about, however. Buniot and I have been training, and every day I could feel myself getting stronger, faster, and more alert.

The majority of our training, I relied on my aura vision. It helped immensely when predicting his next attack. The one disadvantage to training with Buniot was that he couldn't teach me any attacks other than those I already knew. If I wanted effective training, I would have to return to Azelf and the others. Every time the thought arose, I pushed it aside. As much as I felt what I was doing wasn't in my best interest, staying with Buniot that is, I felt happy. This whole ordeal I never felt true happiness, unless on occasion.

Buniot swung his left ear in a downwards strike for my head. I threw my arm up, hooking it to catch the blow. I then lunged forward for a punch, in which he stepped back at light speed, then jumped in the air preparing his world famous high jump kick.

I charged an aura sphere in both of my paws within half a second and launched it at Buniot. It wasn't a powerful sphere, but it was enough to interrupt his attack. As he fell to the ground, I stood over him victoriously, offering my paw outward to help him up.

"Don't think I'm done just yet," he chuckled.

He surprisingly stood up on his own, back into battle stance once again. If Buniot was anything, he was three things. Persistent, confident, and a winner. He hated losing, and he would battle anyone to his own death just to win. He loved battling, and I admired his spirit.

"Hmm... I've never used this attack on ya before. Maybe it's time I did," Buniot said between breaths.

"Whatever it is, I bet I'll stop it," I sneered.

"We'll see about that..."

Suddenly, Buniot burrowed into the ground.

"Dig? That's your special move?" I muttered to myself.

I closed my eyes, looking down at the ground. To my surprise though, I couldn't see him. He just vanished. I tensed up now, wondering where he could be. I kept my focus underground, but I couldn't see anything.

It was then that I struck in the back of the head by the sole of Buniot's foot. I skid across the ground from the strike, just barely recovering. I could hear my ears ringing.

"I thought you were gonna stop it," said Buniot haughtily.

As I gained my footing, I replied, "I couldn't find you! Were you even underground?"

"I was. You were just too slow to see me."

"Geez... My head is killing me now. Alright, you win. Did ya have to hit me so hard?" I whined.

Buniot laughed.

"How else would I have won? You said not to hold back on you. Just following orders."

"Yeah, whatever. Are there any Sitrus berries left?" I asked.

"Yeah, I've always got Sitrus berries in my barrel. If I getcha one, will you still fight?"

"Maybe, I'm pretty worn out now Buniot. Let's take a break for a bit."

I followed Buniot to his home, dropping down seconds after he did. A lone Sitrus berry was thrown at me, in which I tried to catch with my paws, but failed. It was one thing I missed as a human. Hands with opposable thumbs. I picked the berry up from the ground, wiped if off in my fur, and ate it. Savoring the sweet taste as I chewed the candy-like berry.