Chapter 7: Basic Training

The morning was simple.

I got breakfast, Gallade asked how I slept, we talked a bit, then he took me outside for training.

The cold weather, surprisingly, didn't bother me, probably because I have fur.

"Okay Damian. We're gonna do some combat training. Have you ever been in a fight?"

"Umm... Like 2 or 3. I lost though."

"There is no winner or loser in a fight. Fighting is not a game. I will begin with some basic combat you would learn as a human first. Blocking and dodging will be our first concern."

'Blocking and dodging. Why is defense always first?'

"I want you to do anything in your power to land a hit on any part my body but my arms. That means my legs, torso, and face are your targets," Gallade instructed.

"Okay-"

"No! Actually... It'll be faster this way. I'm just gonna train you. Before anything else, how are your reflexes?"

"Good? I dunno."

"Hmm... I have a couple tests to see your reflexes."

Gallade picked up a twig with his blade hands from the snow and brushed it off.

"First test okay? Put both of your paws right under mine. Now what you're gonna do is, is you're gonna catch this stick before it hits the ground. I'm not telling when I'll drop it. You're using eye hand coordination."

Gallade held the stick in an upwards position.

He removed both of his blades quickly.

I caught the stick with both paws at about three fourths from the top.

"Okay."

"How'd I do?" I asked him.

"That was only one test. You have two more before I tell you how you did. Up next, we'll have to go inside the cave. C'mon," Gallade rushed.

I followed him inside.

Gallade broke the twig in half twice, making it about 2 inches.

He planted the fragment of stick on the dining table and sat down at the stone chair.

He gestured at the seat next to me.

I sat down and watched him.

"Now. First of all... Show me you can do this," Gallade put his blade slightly above the stick, then dropped his hand over it.

I repeated what he did.

"Easy right? Now put your paw in that same position. Now what I'm going to do is I'm gonna have my hand way up here and I'm gonna try to grab the stick before you can. Got it?"

He had his blade much higher than my paw to the broken stick.

"Don't go until you see me go okay?" he ordered.

I nodded.

I waited tensely for him to strike.

In a flash, he swept his hand under mine and grabbed the twig before I could get my own paw on the table.

I laughed in amazement.

"That was awesome! How'd you even do that!?" I laughed.

"There's a trick. Actions are quicker than reactions right? You have to move without any warning that I'm moving myself. Even though my hand is much higher up, I still have the advantage. Now its your turn to take my role. Put your paw up where mine was and just sweep around my hand. Ready?"