21

The next morning

Mari POV

I woke up the next morning to find that Adrien wasn't beside me. I looked over to my nightstand and saw a note.

Dear Marinette,

If you're reading this it means I went home. I didn't want my father to be furious and ground me again. I hope you're doing okay. I'm sorry about your parents. I'm gonna talk to my father about letting you stay with us as long as you need. I can't make any promises that he'll say yes, but I'll do my best to convince him. I love you so much. I hope you know that.

All my love,

Adrien

He is so sweet. Then it hit me. Yesterday hadn't been a nightmare. My parents had really died in a plane crash. I began to cry again. Luckily it was Saturday so I didn't have to worry about school.

"Marinette. What's wrong?"

"Tikki. My parents are dead. DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?!" I quickly covered my mouth. "Tikki. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I've been under a lot of stress and I took it out on you. It's not fair to you. I'm so sorry."

"It's alright Marinette. I'm sorry about your parents. I just want you to know that you'll get through it. I'm here for you Marinette. Adrien is here for you. He loves you. If you told Alya, Chloe, and Nino the truth I'm sure they'd want to help you too."

I giggled with some tears still streaming down my face. "You're right Tikki. Thank you. You know, you're more than just my kwami Tikki. You're my friend. I love you Tikki."

"I love you too Marinette." Tikki hugged my cheek while I gently held her in my hands up to my cheek.

Then I felt my phone buzz.

Kitty: Hey buginette. I'm just checking in on you. How are you holding up?

MDC: I've been better. I'll be okay eventually.

Kitty: I meant what I said in my note Marinette. I'm actually just about to talk to my father about letting you live with us.

MDC: I appreciate that Adrien. It's just that...

Kitty: What is it Marinette?

MDC: I'm gonna have to sell the bakery and the apartment. I can't keep the bakery running by myself.

Kitty: Are you sure princess?

MDC: Unfortunately. I'm not gonna be able to pay the bills that will start piling up. I have no choice but to sell.

Kitty: I'm so sorry buginette.

MDC: It's not your fault kitty.

Kitty: Still, it sucks buginette.

MDC: I know.

Kitty: I should talk to my father.

MDC: Ok.

Kitty: I love you princess.

MDC: I love you too.

"I really hope he's able to convince his father to let me live with them. I don't know how much longer I can handle being here alone. I don't want to have to sell this place, but I have no choice." I began to cry once more.

"Cheer up Marinette. Look on the bright side. If Adrien is successful you'll be living with the boy you've been crushing on since the day after you two became Ladybug and Cat Noir. Imagine. You'll be living with your boyfriend!"

"That is a pretty great bright side Tikki. But, this place is so full of memories. I can't imagine living anywhere else." I couldn't control the tears from flowing down my cheeks. That's when I saw a purple butterfly come into my room.

"AAHH! AKUMA!" I knew what I had to do.

I took a deep breath and smiled. "You aren't gonna get me little Akuma. I'm confident. I am strong. I don't need whatever power Shadow Moth is gonna offer me. I'm better than that. I won't let myself get akumatized. You just tell Shadow Moth that you were unsuccessful."

Then the akuma flew away.

"Good job Marinette."

"Thanks Tikki.'

My phone vibrated again.

Kitty: Marinette. My father surprisingly agreed to let you live with us.

MDC: That's great news, Adrien!

Kitty: I know! Nathalie, the Gorilla, and I are gonna be there soon so I can help you pack up. Unfortunately, we don't have an extra guest room for some reason so you'll be staying in my room.

MDC: I'm okay with that.

Kitty: So am I. Just thought I'd let you know.

MDC: Thank you, Kitty. I still need to think about how I'm gonna sell the bakery.

Kitty: I forgot about that. Don't worry though. You'll figure it out. You always do, purrincess.

MDC: Enough with the stupid puns Adrien.

Kitty: Sorry, couldn't help myself. Be there soon.

MDC: Love you.

Kitty: Love you too.