25

Later that night

Mari POV Cont.

Unfortunately, my happiness didn't last very long. Suddenly my body was on a plane. Somehow I was sitting on the plane that was supposed to take my parents to New York. I was sitting in the very back but I could see my parents. They weren't too far ahead of me. I wonder what caused the plane to crash. I heard the captain making their usual announcements about seatbelts and whatnot. I blinked and then I was floating above the wreckage and I saw my parents' scorched bodies. No. How could this have happened? I started shaking.

All of a sudden I woke up with a start. I could feel cold sweat running down my body. I could hear myself panting. Luckily, Adrien was still visibly asleep. This wasn't the first I'd had nightmares related to my parents. I don't want to worry Adrien about this. I don't anyone to know about this. Not even Tikki knows.

I just laid back down and tried to fall back asleep. It was tricky to fall asleep but then I used a trick that I had developed to help me fall asleep. I counted my breaths, as cliche as it sounds. I counted the odd numbers on the inhale and even numbers on the exhale. By doing that my body relaxed and I was able to fall back asleep.

The next morning

Adrien POV:

I felt Marinette rustling around last night in her sleep. Something must have happened that caused that because she was usually pretty still when she was asleep. So while she was still sleeping I told the kitchen staff to make an extra special breakfast for Marinette that I would bring up myself. I hoped that she would be willing to tell me what had happened.

So when it was done, I brought it up to our room and set it on the end table so I could wake up Marinette.

"Mari. Princess. Breakfast is ready."

"Nngh."

I chuckled. She was so adorable when she didn't want to wake up.

"Marinette, wake up. Or I'll have Plagg cataclysm your designs."

"WHAT?"

I laughed at that.

"Adrien... That's not funny."

"Sorry bugaboo. I didn't know how to wake you up for breakfast. I had the kitchen staff make something extra special for you this morning."

"Adrien, you didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to princess. Last night was stressful so I just wanted you to relax today. Luckily, I don't have any photoshoots or anything scheduled for today so we can do whatever we want today. Today is our day."

"Aww. Adrien, you are so sweet. What did you have them make this morning?"

"I had them make chocolate chip pancakes."

"My favorite."

"I know."

"Adrien, you're the best. I love you so much."

"I love you too M'Lady."

When she finished I asked Nathalie to bring the dishes down so they could be washed and asked Marinette what she wanted to do.

"Well, can we just sit and watch some movies for a while?"

"Sounds perfect, princess."

But of course, halfway through the first movie Marinette began to yawn and ended up falling asleep on me. I gently snickered at that. But I guess she's been pretty tired because of all the stress she's been under.

Then she started shaking and saying something in her sleep.

"No. Mom, dad. Don't go! The plane's gonna crash and you're never gonna come back to me. You won't survive. Mama! Papa! Please don't go! You'll be killed. No! Don't go!"

OH NO! She's having a nightmare. I started to try to roughly shake her to wake her up. Fortunately, it worked.

"Mari! It's okay. You're okay. Shh."

She kept shaking and crying until she was able to catch her breath and calm down.

"I'm sorry Adrien."

"It's alright Marinette. But you had me worried. You had a nightmare about your parents. You were talking in your sleep."

"I was? What did I say?"

"You were begging your parents not to leave."

"Oh no. I didn't want you to know about these nightmares. But let me explain why. You see, my parents were supposed to go to New York for a baking competition but their flight crashed and they didn't survive. Ever since then, I've been having nightmares. Sometimes it would be me sitting on the plane and then in a blink of an eye I would be floating over the wreckage. And sometimes it would be me begging my parents not to go to the competition because I knew that the plane would crash and I was scared because I knew that they wouldn't make it to New York or come back to me. I didn't want to tell you because you have your own stuff going on and I didn't want to overwhelm you. You know that I used to cut myself, you know that Lila is bent on making my life miserable, I just didn't want to add to your worries. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you, Adrien."

Marinette POV again

To my surprise, he just pulled me in for a hug and didn't say anything for what felt like forever. Then he broke away and kissed me gently on my forehead.

"Marinette, I understand why you didn't want to tell me, but remember what I told you last night? It makes things easier when you're able to talk about problems with someone you trust. Why didn't you at least confide in Tikki? Or Alya or Chloe?"

"I didn't want anyone to worry about me. I didn't want people's pity. I didn't want to be known as the girl who tragically lost both her parents in a plane crash. I just want to be normal Adrien."

"I understand Marinette. It's okay. You'll get through this. I'll be here with you whenever you need me."

"Thank you, Adrien. I needed to hear that."

"Of course, Mari. I'd do anything for you."

"I know. In the meantime, do you wanna play Ultimate Mecha Strike 3? I bet you can't beat me."

"Oh. You're on bugaboo."

"It's your funeral." I laughed genuinely.

We got it all set up and as I predicted Adrien was floundering and I was kicking his butt. But then he kissed me and I lost my concentration. I ended up losing.

"Hey. No fair. You can't kiss me to win. That's cheating."

"You're just upset because you lost to me for the first time."

"Adrien..." I groaned. "Ugh. I can't stay mad at you."

"I know. Hey, how about we go to the park and just sit and hang out for a while?"

"That sounds perfect." So that's exactly what we did.

We didn't go back to the mansion until it was sunset. It was the most beautiful sunset I had seen in a long time. Thankfully, there weren't any akuma attacks today. Which made me a bit worried.

When we got back to the mansion and in our room, I brought up my concerns with Adrien.

"Adrien, don't you think it's strange that Hawk Moth didn't strike today?"

"Are you worried Marinette?"

"A little."

"Hey. Let's not worry about it right now. Let's just be grateful that he didn't strike okay? I mean, we finally got a day to just be normal teenagers for once."

I took a deep breath. "You're right Adrien. It did feel nice to just be normal teenagers."

"See?"

"Yeah. *Yawn*"

"Tired?"

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna turn in for the night."

"Alright. I'll just be on my computer if you need me."

"Thanks, Adrien. Goodnight."

"Goodnight bugaboo."