Chapter 65 - 'One Way Out'

Word spreads quickly at the Facility. It always does. Lux is never told directly where and when the duel is to take place. He only picks it up from the whispers that follow him wherever he goes. Three o'clock. In the mess hall.

Lux spends most of his time in silence, hoping that, if he thinks about it enough, maybe something will come to him. A way to outsmart Bakula. A place to hide the Marottas. Some solution that will get him and everyone else out of this situation alive. But nothing comes.

Lenora stays with him for most of it. Not too near, not too far. She gives him the space he needs while making sure all he has to do is reach out if he needs her support.

"In case things don't go well for me today," Lux tells her as the hour draws near, "I want you to know how grateful I am for everything you've done for me. And not just recently, I mean everything."

Lenora reaches out and takes his hand in hers, careful and comforting.

"I'm grateful I got to know you, Lux Feuerbach. The real you," she says. "And if things don't go well today, I'll make sure everything else is taken care of for you."

Lux squeezes her hand, and he can feel himself shaking. "Thank you."

And then it's nearly three o'clock and Lux is walking towards his fate.

His stomach cramps painfully. He hasn't eaten anything since breakfast, and he hadn't wanted to chance taking anymore neutralizers. He hopes this clawing hunger will give him strength rather than weaken him.

As soon as Lux steps into the mess hall, the entire room falls silent. All eyes are on him. He lifts his chin and pretends not to notice, pretends his heart doesn't feel like it's about to beat right out of his chest.

The mess hall is usually filled with tables and chairs. Workers would take meals or snacks or coffee breaks here. The room never got particularly crowded, but now it's packed with what seems every worker in the Facility. The tables and chairs have also been pushed aside, leaving Lux a clear path across the room.

Bakula arrives only minutes later. His face is impassive, his gait cool and confident. He doesn't so much as glance Lux's direction.

"Um, excuse me," a nervous voice says from behind Lux.

Lux turns to find himself face-to-face with a young man he recognizes as a fairly new worker named James.

"Sorry, but I was told to prep you," James says in a rush.

"Prep me?" Lux echoes.

James nods. "To make sure you're complying with the proper protocol. No weapons. Nothing but trousers."

"Right," Lux answers slowly. Of course he knows the rules. Every pred does. Skin and teeth only. "Just give me a moment."

He feels more self conscious, more exposed than he expects as he begins to unbutton his shirt and slide it off his shoulders. As he does so, he toes off his shoes, then reaches down to pull off his socks as well and toss them aside.

"Belt too," James informs him.

Lux grits his teeth. Obediently he unbuckles his belt and hands it over.

"And then just empty your pockets for me."

Lux does what he's asked, making sure to turn them inside out for good measure. As he places his wallet and car keys in James' hands, he finds himself feeling oddly vulnerable, like he's already given up a piece of his identity.

After a quick pat down, James tells him, "You're good to go."

Lux nods and turns around.

His insides sink. Bakula is already waiting for him on the opposite side of the room, looking far more intimidating than Lux had anticipated.