Chapter 68 - The Only Thing

Lux opens his eyes.

The world is... fuzzy. His body is uncomfortable. He has no idea where he is.

He has to blink several times before his eyes adjust to the dim lighting. He's... under his desk?

He tilts his head and feels the skin of his cheek peel away from the seat of his office chair.

Why is he under his desk? Why is he propped up on his office chair? How did he even get here?

He squeezes his eyes shut again, trying to remember, but it all seems just out of reach. The only thing he can concentrate on is how he can't feel his lower body.

He tries to shift. His legs are folded beneath him and the muscles cramp in protest. But as soon as he moves, he feels the painful weight in his belly move with him.

A shock runs through Lux as memories slam back into him.

Bakula. He did it.

He looks down at the swell of his stomach, eyes wide. It's about the size of a normal prey now, much more manageable than before. Hand shaking, he reaches out to touch it.

His fingers press into the skin of his belly and he winces. It's sore and very, very sensitive, but it's definitely soft.

Disconnected flashbacks return to him at lightening speed. The agony of digestion. The strength of Bakula within him. Everyone watching. Lenora eventually coming to lay a soothing hand on his stomach before guiding him back to his office to finish the job.

Lux's memories after that get even harder to decipher. All he can summon to mind is hours of discomfort. Trying to pace, but finding the weight in his stomach unbearable. Trying to sit up or lay down, but being unable to find any position to relieve the constant cramping of digestion. Eventually, he assumes, he must have found some sort of solace in shoving himself under his desk while resting his arms and head on the chair cushion.

He takes a deep breath and attempts to push himself upright. He lets out an involuntary groan as every muscle in his body protests and the soreness of his belly flares up, but he manages it. He leans back against the inside of his desk, panting and carefully massaging his stomach, wondering if his body will ever return to normal.

When he's managed to recover enough, he attempts to crawl out from under his desk. After shoving his chair out of the way, he drags himself forward. It's awful. His arms and legs shake, and at one point, he almost collapses flat on his face. But once again, he manages.

His next step is to stand. He grabs at the edge of the desk and starts pulling himself up. His fingers have difficulty grasping and his legs tremble as he puts weight on them. The extra burden of his gut, throwing him off balance, doesn't help either. With his free hand, he clutches at his stomach, trying to keep himself steady.

By the time he's fully on his feet, he's panting harder than ever. His entire body shakes, his head spins, and his stomach clenches angrily at the disturbance. A bead of sweat drips down his forehead as he swallows back a wave of nausea. Now would be the worst time for his stomach to empty itself.

And it's right at that moment when the door swings open.

"Lux! You're awake!"

"Lenora," he manages to gasp.

She closes the door behind her before crossing the room. She stops right before Lux, sparing a glance at his engorged stomach before meeting his eyes. She reaches out and takes his chin in one hand, then tilts it to the side.

"You look like shit," she announces after a moment of inspection.

Lux lets out a huff. "Feel like it too," he mutters.