Chapter 64 - One Last Night

Benji gives Lux a couple of blankets and pillows with the intention of sleeping on the couch again, but Lux takes one look at the small prey furniture and grimaces. He lays out one of the blankets on the floor. He thinks he'll take a page from Benji's book and sleep there for the night, spare his back from the prey couch. There's plenty of room.

Benji comes down in the middle of Lux setting up shop, holding another armful of blankets and pillows.

"I think I have enough," Lux comments as he tosses his pillows down.

"I know," Benji says quietly, watching Lux's progress with interest. "I was just wondering how you feel."

"How I feel?"

Benji shifts the blankets in his arms. "Yeah, like, are you very hungry?"

Lux's eyes widen. "Oh," he realizes. "No. I'm not. The neutralizers are really helping, and I'm more than just a bit nervous for tomorrow. It's making me... a tad nauseous. I'm... not sure if I could eat anything right now even if I wanted to."

Benji's brow furrows, but other than that, his expression is unreadable. He clears his throat. "So do you think you'd be okay if I stayed down here with you for the night?"

Lux blinks, too shocked by the question to respond.

"I mean, I don't have to if you don't want me to," Benji adds quickly. "I just thought you'd rather not be alone tonight."

"No!" Lux finally replies. "I mean, yes. Yes, I want you here. You're more than welcome."

Benji's face brightens. "Okay, perfect! It'll be just like when we were on the run. Sort of."

Lux lets out a quiet laugh of agreement and returns to setting up his bed. "Sort of."

Benji begins setting up a place to sleep on the floor. It's not right next to Lux, but it's not exactly far away. Lux thinks it's a bold move after what had happened last night, but then again, if he were as starved as he had been last night, Benji sleeping next to him or behind a locked door wouldn't make much a difference.

Just as Benji finishes setting his place, Lux hears a soft sigh. He looks up to find Camille leaning in the hallway, arms crossed, watching.

Lux stops short. He hadn't considered Camille when he'd agreed to let Benji stay with him.

"You sure this is a good idea?" she asks when she notices Lux's attention on her.

"I'll be okay," Lux answers, hoping he sounds more reassuring than desperate. "I swear."

Camille frowns and her eyes are distant, as if deep in thought. Finally, she lets out a long breath.

"Alright," she says. "In that case, do you mind if I join too?"

This time, both Benji and Lux freeze. If Lux had been shocked by Benji's request to spend the night, it's nothing compared to how he feels now.

"If you want to," Lux says carefully, afraid that if he says the wrong thing, Camille will change her mind.

But Camille only gives a single nod and stands up straight. "I'll get more blankets."

Lux watches her turn to leave with wonder. For a moment, he doubts that he's even awake right now. To receive such trust and care from both Marottas, it doesn't feel real. Maybe he really had gone home and this is all a dream.

But Lux casts his gaze about Camille's now very familiar home, and he knows this is all real. He's here, and for once, he is wanted.

A few minutes later and all three of them are set up for a night on the floor. Their makeshift beds form a sort of triangle at the center of the room. The only light comes from a single lamp, which Benji reaches up for.