Chapter 49 - A Stranger

The prey trails silently behind Lux as he exits the storage building. He doesn't try anything as they walk the long journey back to the security gate. Lux forces his expression to remain neutral as the guard at the gate gives them the once over before opening it. It's not until they're out of sight of the storage facility that the prey bolts.

"Fuck," Lux mutters before he goes after the man.

It doesn't take long. Lux's stride is nearly twice as long, and within seconds, he latches onto the prey's arm and spins him around.

"What did I fucking say?" he hisses in the prey's face, clutching both his shoulders.

He waits for the man to respond, but he only stares up at Lux with wide, shining eyes. Lux can feel him trembling in his grip.

Lux lets out a frustrated growl. "Look," he says, trying to sound reasonable, "I know this isn't ideal but running from me now is pointless. Your ears make you an easy target. If it isn't me, it will be someone else, and trust me, I'm better than most anyone else you'll get."

That snarl of distaste returns to the prey's face, yet still he says nothing.

"You don't believe me," Lux concludes. "Very well. There isn't much I can say to convince you, but just know that I have no desire to make you suffer. Most other preds aren't so gracious." He pauses to see the prey still looking at him with a sort of burning fury. "Just... don't make this any more difficult than it needs to be. There's nothing anyone can do to help you now."

A muscle twitches in the prey's jaw. Lux swallows reflexively. He hadn't meant to get this close to the prey, not here out in the open anyways. He finds it difficult to uncurl his fingers from the man's shoulders.

"Let's keep moving."

This time Lux doesn't walk ahead. He keeps a light hand on the prey's back, leading him forward. Through the man's thin shirt, Lux can feel the tension in the prey's muscles. He can feel how stiffly he walks. Lux wonders when was the last time this prey walked any further than the length of his cell.

The walk back to the hotel is only ten minutes, although is feels much longer. Every minute or so, the prey man's breath hitches like he's preparing to make another run, and each time, Lux's fingers curl threateningly into the fabric of his shirt to stop him. Lux is grateful for the proximity of the hotel. Everything is just as he had planned it.

He never thought he'd be so grateful to sneak through the back door of the hotel. As Lux pulls out his keycard, the prey man turns to run once more, but Lux senses it and clutches onto the prey's arm before he can even take off. It's not until they've made it back to Lux's room with the door firmly locked behind them that Lux feels any relief. This is almost over with.

"Sit on the bed," Lux tells the man.

For a minute, the prey doesn't move. He still has a rebellious glint in his eye.

Lux shoves him forward. "It wasn't a request."

The prey finally obeys, scrambling a bit to climb up onto the pred sized piece of furniture. Lux moves past him, pulls out the chair behind the desk, and sinks into it. He leans back and sighs.

Several minutes go by where neither of them moves or speaks. Lux can feel the prey's eyes flicking between him and the hotel room door, gauging whether or not he can make it out.

"You wouldn't get far," Lux finally mutters.

He's met with silence, but Lux hadn't exactly been expecting a response.

"I know."

Lux twitches in surprise to hear the prey man speak.

"But it feels like I should at least try," the prey man adds, his voice trailing off at the end.