1

"What do you mean Bam is gone?" You asked, not really getting a good grasp of what the dog shelter staff was trying to tell you.

"Someone else adopted him last week. I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding." The guy said, looking apologetic.

"You need to take him back! I adopted him first. I've been bonding with him for the past months, you know that. Mr. Jung and I already had an agreement." You reply in defense.

"But the problem is, you didn't sign the adoption papers and you were gone for over 2 weeks. We tried to call you but you weren't in reach." He said, trying to explain why they had to give Bam away.

"I'm sure you're aware that Bam was lined up to be put to sleep. That could've happened if it weren't for the guy who adopted him."

You sigh in defeat, knowing full well that it was your fault. You wanted to defend yourself and tell him why you were MIA in the past couple of weeks, but what good will it do anyway? Besides, what matters now is that Bam has a new home. You're just wishing his human is as caring as you.

Not that you're a delinquent person, but life hasn't been smooth in the past year. There were life changing events that happened inevitably and you're suddenly shaping your life in a different way, just so it suits your current condition.

Actually, you're not even a dog lover. You don't hate them but there are some you find really scary, while others you find cute. However, Bam made you change your mind. His innocent puppy ways amaze you so much. He makes you wonder how on earth can a giant dog like him be so meek and clingy like a puppy.

"If you're still up for adopting a dog, we have a new one who just came in last week." He said, trying to make the mood light as he sees you looking all frustrated.

"She actually looks exactly like Bam, like a female version." He says opening the counter for you to step in.

You followed the guy to the back and for a moment there you really thought it was Bam. She does look exactly like him, only that she's a female. She also gives a protective vibe like Bam but there's something different about her. She's kinda smarter, not that Bam isn't but she looks well trained? Probably her former owner had her trained.

"She's really pretty..." You say, observing from behind the guy who's now unlocking the door.

"Not only that, Miri is really special. She's a licensed service dog." He scoots down to pat Miri on her head and pulls her collar to show you her tag with a shield symbol. "This is where she's training."

"I thought she's already licensed?" You asked curiously.

"Ah yes, she was trained to detect illegal stuff but you can still have her trained more."

You scoot down to come at eye level with her. You can see that she's really healthy, probably because she was a security dog before. The guy at the animal shelter said she had to be taken off service since her last owner passed away while on duty.

"How come she can't stay in the service?" You asked while giving Miri a good rub on the back.

"She got... depressed." He said almost wanting to smack his own head for saying that.

"Okay?..." You replied, question marks popping on your head.

"She didn't want to eat for most of the time when her owner passed away." He said they did everything to bring her back to her usual self, but it went on for a whole year until she finally got back to her feet as if nothing happened.

"That's odd..." You mumbled.

"Not exactly. Dogs tend to mourn too, like us humans, but they can also move on and get back on track. She just needed time." He said, gesturing for you to take her farther to the back.

The moment she was out in the sun, Miri started running around like she was working out. Then she went back and just sat there beside you. You pat her head and look into those big eyes. "So... you wanna come home with me?"

*******
"Good girl!" You pat Miri on the forhead after she completed the relay. Since you enrolled her back to the same training school she went to, Miri adjusted pretty well and was excelling in all the activities.

"The overall winner for this event is Miri!... Congratulations Miri!" The trainer gestured for you to take Miri on the podium. A shining gold medal was laced on Miri's neck while a cute plaque and boquet of flowers were handed to you.

At the same time, a pair of curious eyes were looking at you, observing your every move. "Not bad..." He looks at you from head to foot, admiring your competitive vibe. His eyes land on Miri and he gives a low chuckle.

"Hello... How may I help you?" A young man's voice interrupted his thoughts and stole his attention on you.

"I'm Jeon Jungkook, I called earlier about my dog." He said to the man behind the counter.

"Ahhh yes... we're talking about Bam right?" He said with a wide smile on his face. "I'm Jin, head trainor of Purple Paws Training School."

"I believe there's something I need to sign?" Jungkook asked.

"Yes there is, let's take this to my office, shall we?" Jin went around the counter and started walking to his office.

After signing the necessary documents, Jungkook stepped out of the office just in time to see you and Miri taking selfies on your phone with your pretty medal and trophy. He smirks at the sight of you looking too cocky, showing off your so-called achievement.

"Wait until Bam and I show you what a true winner is..." He blurts out silently to himself, his thin lips curling to one side.

*******
😃 "Let's see how far I can take this story... Hopefully to conclusion..."