10

"So this is why they've been so careful around each other." Jungkook says realizing why these 2 playful giants suddenly turned from being overly active, wrestling with each other every time to being so clingy and overly protective.

"Now I know how it feels when your daughter gets knocked up." You said smiling. Jungkook however, sees your eyes trying to hide something.

In all honesty, you're over the moon that Miri is conceiving cute puppies with Bam. Still you can't help but worry how she'll be in the next 4 to 5 weeks. Miri has a history of emotional instability and you're worried about what this pregnancy might do to her.

Right now, Miri is lying beside you on the couch with her head resting on your lap. Bam sits attentively on the floor, right in front of her, guarding Miri like a hawk.

Jungkook pulled a chair to sit closely in front of you, his knees touching yours as he pats Bam's head gently. You're just waiting for Miri's prescription to be filled before leaving home.

You're already constructing a game plan in your head. You have to take care of Miri alone since you already moved back in the apartment. Now you're having thoughts of going back to your dad's place.

"Aera, may I have a word with you?" Dr. Min suddenly popped his head from the exam room and gestured for you to come back in.

You look at Jungkook and he gave you a reassuring smile. He takes your place beside Miri as you follow Dr. Min back in the room.

"Mr Kim informed me that Miri is a service dog. Since you're her owner, I want to clarify what her main role is."

"She can detect when I'm about to have a seizure. Minutes before the episode, she alerts me and stays by my side during the ordeal." You replied looking proud of her abilities.

"She's a very special dog." Dr. Min says as he draws back from his chair, looking a bit more serious than before. "I'm afraid she might not fully function as a service dog for a while, especially during pregnancy. Her hormones are way up and it will interfere with her senses."

You also thought of this the moment you got the news a while back, so it didn't come as a shock when Dr. Min brought it up. "Yes, I totally understand."

"It may not be much of a concern if the situation is somehow less complicated, but your health is also on the line here." He says seriously.

"How far along is she again?" You asked, making sure to have a game plan while Miri is pregnant.

"Based on clinical signs she's about 3 to 4 weeks pregnant. She has 4 to 5 weeks left before giving birth. We can be more accurate about the timeline after we do the ultrasound."

"So it means I have 4 to 5 weeks to wait until Miri gets back to her pre-pregnancy state?"

"It's not as simple as that. Mothers are still hormonal beyond their pregnancy, sometimes it takes months, even a year. Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?"

"Yes..." You replied

"There are owners who decide to terminate the pregnancy..."

"Wait... NO! That's definitely not an option here." You told him, raising your voice to prove your point. Your health is indeed important but Miri's pregnancy has nothing to do with it. Miri is family and whatever she goes through, you will go through together.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. As Miri's doctor I'm obligated to tell you all the possible choices you have. I'm not, in any way insinuating any solution. I hope that's clear." Dr. Min replied, giving you his apologetic look.

"Yes doctor, I'm sorry I reacted too soon." You replied, bowing your head. "Please continue."

"Most owners also have other relatives or friends adopt their pregnant dogs in the meantime and get a substitute service dog. Either way, you'll be needing a substitute for Miri as soon as possible." He says in a softer tone.

"I understand Doc."

*******
"Hey... is everything alright?" Jungkook asked as you went back to see them in the waiting lounge. Miri and Bam are now cuddled next to each other in the couch while Jungkook took a seat opposite the couple, looking over them closely.

"Yes, Dr. Min just gave me some instructions for Miri... They look too adorable." You immediately changed the topic, not yet ready how to tell Jungkook your current situation. It entails a lot of explanation starting from your condition and that's not something you're thrilled to discuss right now.

What makes this even more complicated is you're starting to catch feelings for Jungkook and you have this stupid fear of losing him

What makes this even more complicated is you're starting to catch feelings for Jungkook and you have this stupid fear of losing him. Not all people can accept your disability especially when it entails acceptance that your condition can never be cured. That makes it even scarier, having that responsibility on your shoulders at the beginning of a budding relationship is not at all simple.

This is why you never dated after that fateful day you found out about your condition. How can you expect others to accept your condition and love you despite having it when you can't even accept it yourself? All this time, you've been planning to live a single life away from heartaches and frustrations over having a normal life.

But meeting Jungkook seemed to spark something in you. Something unfamiliar yet feels like home. You know it's too soon but having him around makes you feel normal. What is normal anyway? You don't even know but it's surely not who you are and it scares you to lose him so soon if he finds out.

*******

😩 "Life has its fare share of drama... but I promise you this isn't the heavy type."