53. Fredrico

Jamila opens the door

Jamila opens the door. "Hello Rico," she says with a smile. "What are you doing here?"

"Hey Ms.J. Is Valentina here?" I ask. "I went by both of her offices, she wasn't there."

Her smile widens, "She's here. She should be in the gym. That's the last place i've seen her, but check her bedroom if she's not there."

I thank her and walk inside the house. I climb the steps and try to find the gym. I find it after a few tries.

I watch her through the glass door. She drops the weights and takes off her weight lifting belt. She looks up and pauses when she catches my stare.

I open the door and she meets me halfway. She moves a curl out her face. "What are you doing here?"

"Blair called a meeting," I say.

She looks at her watch, "You're really early. And I mean really early."

"I wanted to talk to you about Alfonso and all the things he's done," I tell her.

Her face changes. She takes ahold of my arm, "Not here. Amir likes to roam the halls," she whispers.

"You let him stay?" I ask.

"Yes. He's been doing great. His therapist comes once a day and I have two nurses in the guest house if he ever self harms again. They track his weight, his well being, shit like that. He's been really good, everyone is happy."

She stops before the door, "Give me thirty minutes. I have to shower. I would tell you to wait in my room, but Jamila suddenly wants to do my laundry every time we both go upstairs."

"I'll see you downstairs," she tells me and opens the door.

"Jamila," she calls out.

Jamila comes out from behind the corner with a sheepish smile. "Can you show Rico your lovely collection of vases?"

Her face brightens. "Of course!"

She takes ahold of my arm. "All of them are over a thousand years old. I dust them once a week. Val just got me three more," she starts off.

I look back at Valentina. She gives me two thumbs up and runs off in the other direction.

By the time Valentina came downstairs, Jamila had showed me her collection, made me a cup of tea, then sat with me, and ranted out the history of them.

"Isn't that crazy?" Jamila asks.

I nod and take a sip of tea, "Very crazy."

I don't even know what vase we're talking about. I quietly sip my tea while she dives back in.

Valentina let's her finish before clearing her throat. "Jamila can you give us a second?"

Jamila gets up and nods. Valentina sits in her seat and moves her wet hair out her face. "So what did-" Jamila placed a mug down and kissed her forehead. Valentina thanks her.