Epilogue

NINE MONTHS LATER

NINE MONTHS LATER

"Amore."

I wake up to Rico rubbing my back. He picks me up off the bathroom floor. "We're going to the doctors."

"No," I groan and try to get out his arms, but he doesn't let me. "You're too sick. This isn't normal," he tells me and sets me down on the bed.

"I'm fine," I tell him and grab a new garbage bag to put in my puke bin.

"I found you sleeping next to the toilet." I shrug and grab a tissue to blow my nose.

"You can't keep anything down and you don't look well," he puts his hand on my forehead. "You're burning up too."

"I promise, i'm fine," I tell him. "It'll pass in a few days. Just leave me. I don't want to get you sick."

He sighs, "I'll be back.

TIME SKIP

I squint my eyes shut when the lights turn on.

"Jesus christ you look terrible."

"Thanks Rory. I really tried my-" I cut myself off with a sneeze.

She grimaces and gets out another mask and puts it over the one she already has. "I'm here to check on you since you refuse to get out of bed or off the bathroom floor."

She makes me sit up and does a check up.

"Welp, you have the flu." She says and gets out Motrin.

"Your mother is heating up soup. When she heard you were sick she came over. So now you're stuck with her."

"Which one?" I ask.

"Jamila."

"Fuck," I curse.

It's not that I don't like her; I love her. It's just she goes overboard when someone is sick. She thinks they're dying.

Rory giggles, "Good luck. I heard she smothered Aaya in Vicks Vapor Rub and she couldn't get the smell out for almost six months."

I groan, roll over, and throw up into my puke bucket. Rory recoils back. "That's my cue to leave. Have fun. Ciao!" She yells before leaving out the door.

I groan in misery and grab my phone off the nightstand and FaceTime Simone to see Leo.

Simone and Derek offered to take him until I got over my, whatever the fuck this is. I haven't seen him and three days and I miss him.

I also miss Rico. I told him to stay clear from me so I don't get him sick. I even temporarily moved into one of the guest rooms to avoid getting anyone sick.

TIME SKIP

"Mija," Mama whispers and brushes my hair out my face. I look up at her and she frowns. "Aw poor baby," She coos and strokes my hair.