Chapter 29

All she could think about, was how her mother didn't move. She only saw stuff like that in movies. Why was this happening to her?

She was in school. In class and there was a teacher teaching.

Her heart raced very fast at the thought of what was happening at home. She was anxious; scared.

Could she have done it?

"Amy!" The teacher called her.

"Ye— Yes, Mr. Winston."

"Can you tell me which word represents the items I just mentioned?"

"Ite–m–s... Uh, they... are...." Her mates let out muffled laughs, whispering to themselves in mockery of her.

Tears run down her cheeks immediately. She sniffed, wiping her nose with her hand.

They laughed again.

"Okay Amy, you can sit. Pay attention."

                When it was lunch break she stayed in class crying fervently.

"Hey, Amy." She heard someone call and she raised her head to see Kayla looking at her.

"Are you okay?"

"Leave me alone." Amy calmly said placing her head on her desk.

"Leave you?" Kayla walked close to her, "what's wrong? What happened?"

"Kayla, hkg..hkg..hkg." She sobbed, causing Kayla to hug her.

"Hey, don't cry? You'll be alright." Kayla said in consolation.

                 Amy's whole day in school was filled with grief, tears and silence. Kayla moved to sit beside her throughout the day but it was not enough to get her to erase the awful thoughts she was having of herself. She didn't feel good about herself. She knew she did something bad and it made her feel as though she was truly what her mother once called her; a curse.

At the close of school, she walked out of the school building with her bestfriend who didn't want to leave her side. Kayla asked her to go home with her but Amy refused, stating that she needed to be home.

She started heading for the school bus when someone called her from a distance, "Amy!"

She turned to see William walking towards her.

"Amy, come, let me take you home." He said.

"Uhm, no I'm okay. I'll take the school bus."

William stopped and chuckled, "since when did you decide not to go home with me?"

Amy turned pale, "I... I want to take the bus, please."

William looked at her, feeling puzzled by Amy's behaviour.

"Okay then. See you soon." He said, walking away from her.

She walked to the school bus and entered feeling her tummy churn in fear.

                Sitting by a window in the bus, she wiped her face from time to time, sobbing lightly as she stayed quiet. Suddenly she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. She lifted her head up to see Pete, her friend, looking down at her.

"Reddie, you ok?"

"Pete, will you just shut up?"

"Woah! You're in a bad mood?"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me Reddie?"

The girl sitting by Amy, stood up and went to join her friends who were busily conversing and making jokes with her.