Chapter 30

"We know you're in there! Open the door!" They knocked on the door heavily.

A call had reached them earlier than that hour, that cops had come to the neighborhood so they had kept themselves busy in preparation for anything they weren't ready for.

They hid anything that could get them in trouble and tried to clean up their room to make it look harmless.

It was a surprise to them that cops were coming in on them. No cop who knew about their neighborhood dared to step a foot there, except for those who were into doing bad stuff secretly.

"Open the door!" The cops said again and this time, they opened it.

"Hey!" Regan said in a pretentious friendly tone.

The cops entered angrily without being told to and asked, "what took you so long in opening the door?"

"We were fucking." A woman from another side of the room walked in, "why are you here?" She asked.

"Are you Peppa McDowell?" They asked her.

"This is she?" She nodded, "am I in some sort of trouble?"

"Let's have a seat first." The cop said.

They were all seated in the living room. Regan sitting with Peppa and the two cops sitting on a couch to their left.

Regan's heart thumped heavily but Peppa's was as calm as a still water.

"We're here to talk about your sister Jane. Can you tell us the last time you two saw eachother?" One of them asked.

Peppa sighed, looking away in thought before looking at the cops, "I haven't seen her in a very long time. You would know that if you did your background investigations well."

The cops looked furious, "we're not here to cause any trouble Miss. McDowell, so mind your way of talking to us."

Peppa frowned, "My sister and I are no longer in contact with eachother. We stopped being sisters a long time ago, so I don't see why you should come to my house and ask me questions about her, unless I'm in some kind of trouble. Am I?"

They looked at eachother, then one of them sighed, "Peppa, your sister was found dead in her house yesterday afternoon."

"What?" Peppa chuckled lightly, "you must be joking right?"

"No we're not. We received a call from a neighbour who found her dead in her room. We have no information of anyone related to her. You're the only one we could gather information on and that's why we're here. We need to know if Jane was in some sort of danger but according to you, you two are no longer related."

Now, as the cop was talking about the death of Jane, Peppa's eyes had welded up in tears which never fell. She stared at nothing, feeling absent in their presence as she thought of the news given to her.

How could her sister die?

She stood up to her feet and gently walked towards her room.

"We need you to come by the station tomorrow. We need to ask a few questions about your sister to help in our case." The cop said as Peppa entered her room and closed the door behind her.

There were a lot of people in Mrs. Carson's house. She hosted the other neighbours who came to find out what had happened to Jane. Amy was sitting by the dinning table watching everyone who talked about the tragic turn of events. Most of them had come to hug her and tell her they were there for her and that she could come to them whenever she needed something. Others had come to remind her of who her mother was. They usually said good things and she realized how much of a hypocrite most of them were.