Chapter 19

In between them she stood, uncertain on the reply to give to the question asked. She looked from one anxious face to the other, wondering who to choose.

"I......I'll go with Mr. Rakes. I want to see you at home." She said to Daniel who gave her the saddest look he had ever given her.

"Amy......." He mentioned.

"Let's leave Amy." William cut in, taking her by the hand.

Daniel stood there looking at them as they walked away to William's car.

Amy looked at him one last time before entering William's car.

He drove off immediately.

It was 3:56pm and they were sitting at an ice cream shop. Amy sat opposite of him and he couldn't take his eyes off of her. The little girl looked innocent, vulnerable, uncared for, lonely, sad and dispirited.

She ate her yoghurt ice cream in silence, her attention away from him, so he stared for as long as he could and when she lifted her head up to look at him, he looked down at his own cup of ice cream.

He smiled to himself at how silly he was being.

"Do you like your ice cream?" He asked her.

"Yeah." She answered, licking some from her fingers.

They sat in silence after that and it was for a short while before he asked,

"What has been making you sad?"

Amy looked at him confusingly, "What?" She asked and he repeated the question.

"Uhm...nothing." She looked down at her ice cream.

"Tell me Amy. What has been making you sad?"

"Nothing. Nothing makes me sad."

"But you are always quiet in class. You were never like that when I first met you. What happened? Everything about you has changed. You seem sad most of the time."

"I am not sad." Amy said, putting some ice cream into her mouth.

"Am I the reason why?" William asked taking her by surprise.

"What?"

He repeated the question.

She stayed quiet for a while before asking, "Why are you asking?"

"Because I know you were not happy about Sophie."

Amy thought back and realised he was talking about the girl he impregnated or so he denied.

"The girl with your baby?"

"The baby is not mine. Yes I love kids but I didn't give Sophie one. Her baby is for someone else, she doesn't know who, so I am just helping her out."

"But the baby could be yours."

"I know but we're both sure it isn't."

"So do you like her?"

William chuckled, "no I don't. You really like to ask me that. Don't you?"

Amy smiled and shrugged, "I don't know."

William smiled and shook his head.

"Anyway, Sophie will be leaving to stay with her Grand parents. Her parents do not want her at home alone since she is their only child and they mostly go to work, so I'll be taking her to her Grand parents' today."

"Okay." Amy said with some ice cream in her mouth.

"I want you to be happy." William said as she looked at him.