Chapter 6

Kayla had just removed her shoes when she heard the door bell ring. "Kayla get the door!" She heard Duke shout from his room. She groaned, thinking of what to say to him, but she gave up. She run down the stairs barefooted to the door and opened it.

"Amy!" She said astonished.

Amy smiled, "can I come in?" She asked.

Kayla stepped aside for her.

She entered, looking around like it was her first time seeing the place.
"My parents are not around." Kayla told her, guessing what she was thinking. Amy nodded.

"Kayla who......." They saw Duke coming down the stairs. The handsome Duke. Amy smiled.

"Amyyyyyyy!" He joyfully sang running to embrace her in a hug. He lifted her up, and Amy giggled as he whirled her around before putting her down.

"See? I knew you couldn't stay away from Kayla. You two are like Raven and whoever she is dating right now."

"Who is Raven?" Amy asked. Kayla shook her head at Duke and took Amy by the hand. "Don't pay attention to him." She said before pulling Amy with her. Duke smiled to himself.

Amy sat on Kayla's bed. "I miss coming here." She said.
"Well, you know you can come here at any time." Kayla said.
Amy looked at her abashedly.

"I was mean to you." She said.

Kayla sat beside her and took her hand, "Amy we are friends. You had your reason for doing what you did, and....although it hurt, I forgive you for it. You do not have to feel bad."

A tear fell from Amy's eyes. She hugged Kayla and soaked her dress with tears.
"I am so sorry." She said. Kayla rubbed her back with her hand, soothing her.

After crying, Amy sat up and sniffed, "I am a bad person." She said, but Kayla shook her head, "you are not." She told her.

"How do you know?"

"I don't know. I watch, I communicate, I listen, and Amy, for all these years I have known you, one thing I know about you is that, you are not a bad person."

"Then who do you think I am?"

"My friend."

"I know that, but in terms of personality."

"Mmmm," Kayla looked up.

"Are you now thinking about it?" Amy chuckled. Kayla also chuckled and said, "no I am just trying to find the right words for it. Well, you are sweet, you are kind, you are tender...."

Amy laughed, "what happened to knowing similar words, those words are equal."

Kayla laughed, "Well, I have to use similar words, cause you are simply amazing."

They giggled, then Amy quieted, "Until I met William right?"

Kayla quieted.

"I mean, I don't know what it is with him Kayla. I wish I could get him out of my head."

"I know Amy, and I do not wish to offend you, but your affection for him isn't normal. You are only ten. I will be ten soon and I will never have a crush on my dad. Your feelings for Mr. Rakes is just weird."

"But it keeps nudging me. Kayla, I am afraid to lose him. I really, really want him to be a part of my life. I can't suggest for him to adopt me or something, because I have feelings for him. I want him to protect me."

"Amy, what you feel isn't love. It is fear and your need for security. I know your parent's divorce hasn't helped you and you want to be in a good home, but Mr. Rakes cannot give that to you. My parents adore you. Maybe we can work something out so that they can adopt you."