Chapter 9

Amy's Diary/POV

As I followed the stretcher which carried my mother. I thought of aunt Peppa. I looked around at the nurses and doctors, afraid that they may ask me what happened to her. The bruises on her face clearly showed that she was battered. My aunt would be in trouble. I had to think of something.

Jane was taken to a room, while the nurses stopped Daniel and Amy from following them. They had to wait in the waiting room.

Amy couldn't stop her tears from flowing as she realized that she was inside a hospital, a place she never dreamt of finding herself.

Daniel hugged her, "hey, sh-sh-sh, she will be alright." He comforted, and while they stood there hugging, a doctor approached them.

"Jane McDowell?" He asked, walking towards them. Daniel nodded, freeing Amy from the hug

The doctor now stood infront of them, "she has been taken to the emergency unit, but I would like to ask a few questions. Are you relatives of hers?"

Amy nodded, but Daniel spoke up, "this is her daughter Amy. I am a neighbour of theirs."

The doctor nodded and looked at her. "We will do our best to save your mom, but I need you to answer a few questions okay?"

Amy nodded.

"Well, can you start by telling me what happened to her?"

Her heart stopped. She couldn't breath, but how? She would literally die. She quickly took Daniel's hand who looked at her with surprise at her reaction. She started to tighten her grip.

"Uhm....." She started. "Sheee....."

The doctor sighed, noticing her uneasiness.

"Amy, you will save your mother if you tell us the truth." The doctor calmly said, so she tried to slow down her quick breathing. She had to tell the truth.

"She was hit...by, by two men. They came into our house and I heard them telling her that they were sent by someone to do that. That is all I know."

Daniel had a confused look on his face, but the doctor's showed concern.

"And where were you when this was happening?"

"I was on the stairs. Sitting. They didn't see me. I just saw my mother struggling."

"Is she involved in anything illegal?"

"No please, but she has a lot of enemies."

The doctor nodded, signaling that he was now clear with everything.

"Thank you Amy. I will come back if there are any questions to ask, or any progress on your mother."

Amy nodded, looking behind the doctor as he walked away.

She raised her head to see Daniel looking at her.

"Did you send those two men?" He immediately asked, and Amy shook her head with a questioning look, but, "then why did you lie?" Daniel asked, causing a shiver to run through her.

"It's the truth." She calmly said looking down at the floor.

             After a long while of waiting, Amy had fallen asleep on Daniel's lap, when the doctor returned. They stood to their feet and he smiled lightly, "your mother pulled through. She has been taken to a different room at the moment. We need her to rest, so we cannot allow anyone in her room, but I need to ask you something."

Amy looked at Daniel before nodding at the doctor.

"Does your mother take alcohol excessively?"

Amy looked down and with a sad look, nodded at the doctor.