Chapter 15

Sound was of no existence around the neighborhood at the time of 7:15pm, that evening.

Jane was setting up the table for supper together with Daniel, who walked back and forth whistling a music tune. She was extremely quiet as she did what she had to do and Daniel noticed it.

"Are you okay?" He asked her.

"Yeh, yeh... I'm fine." She feigned a smile as she walked over to the dinning table.

They all settled down around the table causing Jane to look at Amy. She had heard the conversation she had with William and it baffled her how Amy would talk like that, and to no one, but her TEACHER.

She continued staring at Amy causing Daniel to hold her hand. Amy was already having a bite of her food and her mother's attention on her wasn't noticeable to her.

"Eat." Daniel calmly told Jane, who sighed and took a bite of her food.

As they sat there, Jane continued to look at Amy from time to time. She wasn't certain of the reason for which her daughter spoke like she saw her teacher as someone else other than a teacher.

After eating their supper, clearing the table and doing all they had to do before bed, Jane decided to speak to Amy about what she heard.

"Hey honey." She quietly said as she entered Amy's room.

"Mom." Amy said as she's sat up on her bed.

Jane went to sit on her bed, looking at her little girl as she tucked some of her hair behind her ear.

"You're a good kid Amy, and I want you to be sincere with me okay?"

"Okay." Amy nodded.

"Uhm, honey, I overheard you talking to Mr. Rakes, and you sounded angry with him. Why was that?"

Amy looked away, a lump forming in her throat with her heart racing as she reasoned for what to tell her mother.

She was delaying in uttering a word, so Jane took her hands in hers, "tell me honey, why were you angry with your teacher?"

"He...he spoke to me harshly and I didn't like it."

"But he only asked where you were. I don't understand why you spoke to him like that. You may not have liked how he spoke to you, but he is your teacher and you shouldn't have spoken to him like that."

Amy looked down.

"And you mentioned a girlfriend and baby? What was that?"

Amy shrugged.

"Amy, Mr. Rakes is your teacher, you should know how to speak to him."

"I am sorry." Amy whispered.

"Then you should tell him that." Jane said, "what he does with his life and who he is with, shouldn't be your concern. He is only here to assist you in your studies, and that is all... Apologize to him tomorrow is that clear?"

"Okay." Amy abashedly answered.

"Okay then. Go to bed." Jane said, placing a kiss on her forehead, "Goodnight honey."

"Goodnight mom."

The next day, she did as she was told.

William had come to teach them and after he was done and had left the class, Amy followed him.

"Mr. Rakes!" She called.

"Amy." He stood, "Can I help you with something?"

"I.... I am sorry about what I said."