11. Makings of a War

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!  Rieka smashed her alarm clock off and it crumpled like a soda can.  She groaned. That was the 5th alarm clock she's broken this year. 

Rieka got up and stretched.  She went and showered quickly and threw her long hair into a braid and got dressed.  She looked at her phone- 8 am.  She went to her personal laptop and quickly pulled up the contact info for Club Crimson and sent an email with a password protected file containing the names of the victims and their pictures to the email. Rieka stole a glance at the folder Charlie brought her last night.  It will have to wait until she got home tonight or she will be late.   

With her obligation to Catlia out of the way, Rieka grabbed her gun and badge and hurried to her car.  On the way she grabbed coffees and breakfast sandwiches for her and her partners and arrived at the precinct right on time. 

As she neared her desk, she saw Patrovsky grab his coat.  "Where are you going? I brought breakfast," Rieka said shaking the bag of egg and sausage croissants. 

"You didn't hear? Another body dropped. Same wounds as our other two. Johnson's already there with Georgia." 

"Shit. I'll drive. Where are we headed?" 

Patrovsky holstered his gun and grabbed his badge from his desk, "Pleasure Point Beach." Rieka nodded and headed back down to her car with Patrovsky at her heels. 

Once they were in the car headed towards the beach, Rieka turned to Patrovsky who was chowing down on his breakfast sandwich, "Hey Patrovsky, so what did you two find out about the club?"

Patrovsky washed the last bite of his breakfast with a swig of his black coffee, "So apparently they all went just under six months ago to celebrate Daniel Wong's hiring. Wong, Jeremy the security guard, Brittany, and some guy named Max Lisborne who was the other daytime manager all went to the club together that night.  According to financials, Jeremy and Daniel Wong both went a few weeks ago and reserved a Private Dance from a dancer at the club. Brittany confirmed that they were talking about it before and after the night, and were planning on returning.  She wasn't sure if they ever got around to it.  We were going to go and talk to security at the club today to check out what happened or see if they met anybody there, but the new body dropped, so we're having to push that back til tomorrow." 

Rieka frowned as she pulled up to a red light, "What about on the security tapes from the docks on the night of the murders? Anything there?" 

"Well, that's the weird thing," Patrovsky sighed, "It all looks fine for the most part.  Wong comes in and talks with Jack Henries then goes in his office for a few hours. Jack leaves a few minutes later. Then  Brittany leaves at the end of her shift at 8:30pm and you see her car leave as Jeremy pulls into the parking lot.  Jeremy goes and enters into Wong's office for a few minutes, heads over to the security tapes and chills there most of the night.  Around 3 am Wong comes out of his office and nods to Jeremy before heading out back. The cameras show he goes through the gate with a clipboard and starts going down each dock.  When Johnson asked Brittany about it, she said part of Daniels checklist was taking inventory of the boats docked and check it against the accounts that have been paid to make sure everything was accounted for and check on the riggings and make sure everything was up to code.  Here's where it gets weird. He goes down the 3rd row and never comes back.  A few hours later around 5am, Jeremy must have noticed that Daniel never comes back because he checks the office and then goes outside to the docks with his gun in hand.  There's footage of him walking the main stretch then stops abruptly.  He turns and heads towards the area where the trash is but he holsters his gun before he goes out of sight.  And he is never seen again."