20. The Dark Wing Collective

As they all dispersed from Alpha Randolf's office, Rieka pulled Pierce and Charlie aside, "I have something to do really quick. Should only take a few minutes. Please round up our pack and meet me in the entryway in thirty minutes. It should give them all time to eat and get some coffee before I arrive. I want to address them all." 

"Of course Alpha," Charlie nodded and ran off to start gathering the pack.  Pierce smiled after him, "Well, you can't say he's not eager to please."

Rieka smacked his arm playfully, "Don't be a mean. He's just happy to not be a slave. His previous alpha wasn't exactly kind."  

"Hate to break it to you Little Wolf, most alphas are not like your father." Pierce said grimly, "I feel you would be a very different person if you were born into a different pack. Your pack here feared you were a monster or at least would become one. At some of the packs I've had dealings with, their fears would've been mild compared to what you would've actually become."  

Rieka raised her eyebrow, "That bad?"  Pierce nodded, "Worse than you know. I've seen alphas sell their only daughter as a sex slave to the supernatural black market to appease a debt without blinking an eye.  I know of another that was raping every teenage she-wolf when she came of age and shifted for the first time. Claimed it was to 'strengthen the bond' and if anyone resisted he would torture them into submission, keep them drugged with wolfsbane, and keep them as his harem until he got tired of them or they died."

Rieka was shocked, "How can they do that? We have laws to protect people from that!" 

"Because Little Wolf, what happens on pack lands is the discretion of the Alpha in charge. They use their alpha aura to keep their pack in line and they kill anyone that would try to tell. Even your precious council would not step in unless the violence came out onto other packs." 

"How do you know all this Pierce?" 

"Because my Nightmares and I had to intervene on a few of those wolves in the past.  Someone would escape to Mexico and ask for sanctuary with my father, then tell us why. Of course we tried to help through diplomatic channels, but usually it didn't work out. Thankfully we found better leadership for them but they were far from the only ones to suffer like that." 

Rieka's eyes flashed white, "That's not okay. When this is all over, I think I need to have a talk with these alphas."

"One war at a time," Pierce chuckled, "Use this one to get to know the alphas.  They will need to open their doors a little to help you with the threat. We can use that to our advantage in the long run. If we can sacrifice the bad alphas in this one, it will make it much easier to work on saving the rest after." 

"Fair enough," Rieka nodded, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. I better grab Georgia so we can get started. I'll meet you in a few minutes." Pierce nodded his head respectfully and Rieka went back to the dining room to see Damian rise up and kiss Georgia on the forehead, then the tip of her nose, then a quick but loving kiss on the lips before grabbing their plates and heading to put them in the dishwasher.  

"Awww you two are adorable!" Rieka joked as she walked up to the table.  "Oh hush Ri." Georgia blushed, "I can't help it. He's just so damn sexy and sweet. I just want to melt in his arms every second of every day. Is that normal?"

"Yep. Especially in a mate bond." 

Georgia sighed contentedly, "Well, I never want this visit to end. Then we'll have to be kind of long distance and I don't know how I feel about that." 

"You'll figure it out," Rieka patted her friend on the shoulder, "In the meantime, wanna check out a dead body for me?"

"Um Yes please!" Georgia's eyes lit up, "I would love to have something take my mind off of Damian and his sexy blue eyes, toned washboard abs and his huge-"