12 Little Wolf

War. 

The word kept ringing in Rieka's mind. No, No, No.  This doesn't make sense.

"Rieka, you still there?" Jason's worried voice on the phone snapped Rieka from her thoughts.

"Yeah. I'm here. Listen to me. While I'm on my way I need you to contact the Werewolf council and have Mom visit the Lycan council.  There's more to this than you know.  A mermaid girl was found murdered this morning- same way. This is bigger than us. We need to get everyone relevant into the same room and figure this out. Something doesn't make sense and I think if we get all the facts then we can figure out what we're missing."

"Okay. I trust you Ri. I'll reach out and see what I can do. When can you get here?"

"Probably around dinner.  I have to grab the info from the Lycan council and reach out to the mermaids to let them know what we found. And I have one more stop I need to make before I can head that way.  I'll use Rayna so I'll get there faster than I can drive." 

"Okay. Sounds good. Be careful Ri." Jason hung up and Rieka turned and looked at her partners. They were busy talking with crime scene techs looking for any signs that could help them solve this case. She knew they wouldn't be able to follow her where she was going.  She needed to protect them.  They needed to stay away from the supernatural aspects so she could move freely.  

Rieka's phone rang again. She looked at the caller ID: The precinct.

"Detective Stephens Talking." Rieka answered. 

"Rieka, it's Captain Trudeaux. Another body has been found with the same markers as your case up in the mountains.  A small town named Nocturnal Peak."

"I'm familiar with it sir." Rieka replied. 

"The mayor has called for assistance and since you're the lead detective on the case he figured you would be the best fit. You leave this afternoon.  Let Johnson and Patrovsky finish up at the crime scene." Captain Trudeaux ordered. 

"Yes, sir. Will do. I'll make sure I have everything I need to help then head up this afternoon."

Rieka hung up the phone and walked up to Georgia and pulled her aside, "Things are bigger than we thought. I need your help with something."

"Of course. How can I help?" Georgia's honey eyes grew worried.  

"The siren kills are on a bigger scale than we thought.  There have been a few murders at various packs up and down the state. Everyone thought it was a freak accident so they didn't really do anything.  It wasn't until my old pack realized there was a pattern that we realized this is more than just this case.  There's even been a royal Lycan guard killed."

Georgia's eyes widened, "A Lycan Royal guard, multiple wolf deaths, now we add two humans and a mermaid... oh Ri, this isn't looking good." 

Rieka nodded, "You know I'll need your help to reach the mermaids, but we need to warn them too. Sirens and mermaids never got along well supposedly. There could be more attacks coming.   I also need you to do me one other favor."

"Name it." 

"I need you to make it so that the captain assigns Johnson and Patrovsky on other cases so I can keep them safe. There's too many variables in this one.  I don't think I can keep them safe if they keep investigating. Besides, I've been called by my old pack. They asked the captain if I could assist them in their investigation that has the same markers as our murders. So I'll be heading up there for awhile." 

"I think I can do that." Georgia nodded, "I have a potion that I can make that I can put in the captains coffee and he will do what I ask without question temporarily."