24. Breakthroughs

Rieka knew she had dropped a bomb on Pierce. A mole within the packs? Probably within the Lycan court? How far did this plan of the siren's go? 

Pierce grew quiet and nodded as she discussed possible methods for rooting out the moles.  After awhile, Rieka was wondering if he was even listening anymore, "Pierce? You still with me?" 

Pierce snapped out of his thoughts, "Huh? Oh yes. I apologize Little Wolf. This news is troubling me. I don't understand how Catlia and the sirens did all of this and I knew so little? I thought she shared most everything with me. I realize now, I was no more important than any of my guards to her." 

Rieka put her hand on his, "Well, you are my friend and one of the people that I count on to get through this. Which is funny because less than a week ago you were literally the head of security for the enemy." 

Pierce smirked and looked into Rieka's aqua eyes, "That's true. So much has changed. Not just unraveling the mystery surrounding the sirens, but between us as well. Who knew when you came to the club that night that we would be here?"

Rieka stared back into his golden eyes. "Yeah. Who knew?" They stared at each other as warmth passed between them, neither really breathing.  Pierce's eyes briefly stole a glance at Rieka's lips then back into her eyes. Rieka's heart started to pound so loudly she was sure Pierce could hear. 

Pierce started to inch forward, his lips slightly parted as he looked over Rieka's face for any sign of stopping him. Rieka's mind raced. Their bond was strong and she could feel the emotions from Pierce as his lips inched towards hers. She started to inch closer to Pierce -

Laughter and shouting came from up the stairs causing Rieka and Pierce to separate quickly.  Rieka flashed an embarrassed look towards the ground and could feel her face flush red. She stole a glance at Pierce who smirked cordially, but his eyes spoke of disappointment. 

Damian and Jason came running down the stairs laughing like they did when they were all kids. Jason grabbed Damian around the shoulders and messed up his red hair. Damian protested, "Hey! Knock it off Jay. Not cool!"

Jason backed off, still laughing, "C'mon Damian. I was able to convince your dad to let you be the escort for your mate to the crime scene. Now that you got one, you know I'm going to bug you about it all the time." 

Damian rolled his eyes, "Great. Looking forward to that! Gotta go! Can't keep my gorgeous mate waiting!" Damian ran his fingers in an attempt to re-tame his hair as he ran out the door. Jason shook his head smiling and waved before heading out too.

Pierce looked back at Rieka then stood, "I heard many of your ideas and they are good. I do think we might need some help though. I will make the call to my father that is sorely overdue and speak with you at dinner.  I will type up a more thorough report of everyone for you to browse and email it to you before the end of the day. I know we both have lots of preparations to do before we leave for the city tomorrow. So.. I will leave you to it."  He smiled charmingly and went to his room. 

Rieka sat there for a moment, unable to absorb everything. She eventually shook the thoughts of what almost happened from her head. She definitely felt attracted to Pierce-he was smart, strong and really really handsome- but he was obviously not her mate. That's assuming if she even had one. And she was sure that most of it had to do with the intimate nature of their loyalty bond. 

It's not like I haven't taken lovers before, Rieka thought, why is this one any different?

Rayna huffed, "He's a jaguar prince, a bonded ally, oh and there's a war possibly about to start and who knows who will live through it. We have bigger issues than your love life."