Ch. 39 Yelling

They both quickly got ready.

"I can't come over today I have something after school." Aiko left the room. "Aiko!" Ikero followed her out of the room. "I have extra classes today that's why I can't hang." Aiko grabbed out a glass and filled it with water. "Aiko please don't give me the silent treatment." Ikero pleaded. "Aiko? Aiko? Aiko!" He raised his voice.

"Quit raising your voice in my house." Keiko came in the room.

"Aiko can't hear me." Keiko roughly knocked on the door causing Ikero to jump. Aiko looked up from feeling the vibrations in the counter.

"Yes ma'am?"

"She doesn't have her hearing aids in. Child, where are your hearing aids?"

"Dead."

"I don't suppose Kenma sent you with extra batteries?"

"No ma'am." She sighed. "But her siblings might."

"I don't think so," she scoffed. "If they can't remember to wash their gym clothes without Aiko telling them, they're not going to have any." Keiko took the two to school. Once they got to school, Ikero took Aiko to her brother so that they could go to class.

"Bye." They sped through their classes. Once they got to lunch, Koku had Aiko sit while she went to call somebody. Ikero was rushing to lunch since he was late. He stopped when he heard hushed tones.

"Daddy it's hard! I know all the signs, but I've started missing notes and getting lower scores on quizzes because I'm always having to translate for her. Akemi too. We're exhausted. Wouldn't it just be easier if she did school at home?" Ikero started to feel a little angry. But he just kept walking. He went into the cafeteria and looked around. He saw Aiko sitting at a table with a couple of his friends. He could hear them once they got closer.

"Well she can't hear us so it won't matter."

"Yeah but still."

"What won't matter?" All of his friends immediately went silent.

"She has hickeys. She's probably a whore." One of them snickered.

"I made the hickey." Ikero went over to Aiko. "C'mon."

"What's the point of learning sign, she has siblings for that?" Ikero ignored them and kept walking Aiko out of the cafeteria. He saw Koku and Akemi coming out from down the hall.

"Is she okay?" Koku asked.

"I'm taking her home."

"Why?" Koku walked on Aiko's other side. "Are you okay?"

"She's fine, I'm taking her home."

"You're not doing shit with my sister," Akemi shoved Ikero.

"It's not like either of you care!"

"How dare you say that! She's our sister! Of course we care!"

"No you don't! I heard you! Saying it was too hard because of signing!"

"You don't understand!" Akemi snapped.

"You're right! I don't! But I've been up for the past week, way after doing my work practicing sign, hoping that one day I could be as good as you guys. You are lucky to have her. Yes, sometimes it's exhausting and frustrating, but in the end you have her. Does she not give you her detailed notes after when you guys get home?"

"She does..."

"Exactly. She helps you study, but you're saying something about having to translate for her." Ikero paused and sighed. "I hate getting mad and yelling like this. And I'm sorry. But it just sucks when you know there is something wrong with you and people around you tell you nothing is wrong with you. Before you say there is nothing wrong with Aiko, there isn't. She's beautiful, and kind. And the nicest person I've ever met even when she's frustrated. And yes she is deaf, people may think that is bad. But I think that just makes you stronger because you are doing something that nobody else around you is doing. You guys probably don't think what you're doing is helping at all but it is." Aiko pulled on his sleeve. Ikero turned to her.

"Are you okay?" Ikero just sighed and nodded. Aiko hugged Ikero. Ikero slowly wrapped his arms around Aiko and tightly hugged her.

"Oh my god why aren't you guys dating?" Koku laughed. She wiped her cheeks on her sleeve. She looked at Akemi.

"You can date our sister." He sighed.