Chapter 1

It was bright and oddly warm late October day, perfect in comparison to the wintery rainy days that preceeded it. One day, that if not for the russet and orange leaves lying in drifts at the bases of the trees and bushes and the faint lingering smoky scent of bonfires, could be mistaken for mid spring. It was a day for getting out of the flat and exploring the winding paths and forested areas of Richmond Park, which lay temptingly just a few streets away, and enjoying the autumn sunshine and the sheer joy of being alive and free.

I pulled on a dark green hoodie and grey hiking boots and swung a small rucksack onto my back, checking it had my purse, some tissues, small first aid kit with a few plasters and painkillers, snacks and a bottle of water in it, with the plan to take a good couple of hours to explore. Having briefly been in the scouts I was always prepared. Or thats what I liked to tell myself, not acknowledging the ever present cloud of anxiety which required me to feel ready to deal with anything. I popped a black baseball cap onto my head, tucking any loose strands of hair behind my ears, and headed into the kitchen to make sure the windows were closed and locked, that the switches were off and that the oven was off too. I stood in the middle of the floor turning to each of the items, saying aloud "cooker off", "windows closed and locked", " kettle, switch off", " microwave switch, off" before heading across to each to double check that this was indeed right. Just before leaving the kitchen I opened the small cupboard next to the pantry, taking out a small bottle of pills. I walked over to the sink picking up a glass off the draining board and struggling with the childproof cap. 

"just like every bloody day. I get it, it has to be childproof but this is adultproof as well. Do they like, want me to panic about being unable to open it" I muttered to myself as I attempted to line up the lip of the cap with the dip on the bottle, thus allowing me access to the bright pink anti-anxiety pills inside. The only things allowing me to keep a semi even keel these days.

After a brief struggle and taking the pill with a gross warm mouthful of water, having once again forgotten which tap to turn on, I placed the bottle back in the cupboard with a muttered "see you tomorrow" and picked up the pen on the counter to cross off the pill counter to indicate that, yes, todays pill was toast and hopefully prevent a brief existential crisis later of whether I had taken it or not.

After grimacing at my pale complexion in the mirror next to the front door, and considering leaving the hat behind I reached forward, grabbed my keys from the hook and headed out into the bright morning.

It only took 5 minutes, to walk through the entrance gates to the park and be faced with all the open space. It was wonderful and I began to feel more alive and almost, dare I say it, content in my skin. There was a gentle breeze blowing lazily through the overhanging branches of the trees, teasing the leaves which still clung with vigour to them, refusing to be parted to be scattered onto the damp ground below. I took a deep breath in, embracing the freshness as I strode along the path. It was a quiet morning despite the beautiful weather, with a few dog walkers  throwing balls or sticks for their fluffy bundles of energy to sprint after; I sat briefly on a bench to watch as a german shepherd puppy with oversized paws and ears that he would eventually grow into, bounded after a tennis ball, jumping and missing by a mile - hearing their owner laugh aloud at their antics; a collie nearby playing tug of war with the stick in his mouth, refusing to cede the spoils of war to their owner, puffing and panting away, shaking their head in an attempt to wrest the stick free, thrilled with their prowess.

A few runners had passed by in their neon clothes as I sat enjoying the warmth of the sun on my face, pulling up my sleeves to cool slightly, feeling grateful that I hadn't elected to wear a coat and that I had kept the cap on. After a quick drink of water and a museli bar I stood up and walked on, through the quiet paths, no purpose to where I was going, just mindlessly strolling along, deliberately not thinking, when I heard a whimper from a nearby bush.