21: We're Getting Out of Here. Tonight.

Midnight, The Stars and You- Al Bowlly, Ray Noble & His Orchestra

❝Midnight with the stars and you

Midnight and a rendezvous❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
WE'RE GETTING OUT
OF HERE. TONIGHT.
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

(TW // manipulation, abuse, mentions of death

A/N: I strongly recommend listening to the song above while reading. It makes the chapter SO much better)

A 12 year old Gwen sat at the head of a metal table in a cold room, surrounded by Brenner and other doctors working at the lab. She sat criss cross on a cold metal chair, hands in her lap and a tired, disinterested look on her face.

That was her expression most times these days.

She was past the point of being naive to the horrible things she was put through. Other kids didn't have to do this, she knew that. Ten was an example of that. She had a life before all of this. She had a family and friends, even if she can't remember it all that well.

As time went on, Ten's memory got a little better. She was able to remember some key parts of what her mother and father looked like, and even remembered a sibling she had. She couldn't remember names or their voices, but just knowing that she had people that truly cared about her was enough motivation to keep her going.

Gwen didn't have that. She didn't have a family to try to remember or friends. Nothing but her life at the lab. But she was determined to get Ten to her family again. Even if Gwen was a couple years younger than Ten, she cared about her. Ten and Gwen were family. Their only real family.

They've been talking about escaping for a while, they just have to figure out how to do it.

Another man in a white outfit walked into the room, holding the handle to a small black cage. He has always been the nicest man, and the one to sneak painting supplies in Gwen's room. Gwen often caught him sending sympathetic looks to the other children too, but he never actually stopped the torment from happening. The man set the cage onto the table in front of Gwen as a different doctor shut the door behind him.

Gwen hated this experiment the most.

This was what filled her nightmares most nights.